why flocks of gees

Discussion in 'Goose Hunter Forum' started by ducky152000, May 26, 2005.

1. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

In the past week or so i been seeing flocks of geese of about 10 to 30 birds why? Are they non breeders or all males or birds that didnt produce a gosslings thats the only ideas i have mybe you can help.

2. Trainer

Trainer New Member

<P>It is called a molt migration.&nbsp; They are preparing for the molt by relocating to an area that supplies their needs.&nbsp; Most are non-breeding birds.&nbsp; Here in WNY we see large concentrations of these birds.&nbsp; Some of the banding &amp; satillite studies show that a fair number of these birds actually move as far north as the traditional nesting areas long after the nesting birds have moved north an reproduced.&nbsp; Jim</P>

3. DeWayne

DeWayne Active Member Lifetime Supporter

<P>Jim is right on with his reply.&nbsp; The non-breeding birds assemble into large groups, (safety in numbers), to wait out the molt.&nbsp; That is the reason you will have a period of time from early June though most of the summer you do not see flocks of bird in the air.</P>

4. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

5. DeWayne

DeWayne Active Member Lifetime Supporter

<P>I think you are right on Stan.&nbsp; While I am no biologist, I believe there is inbreeding among molt migrants going north and mingling with Ontario birds, as well as birds moving laterally.&nbsp; Last year during early season, John shot a collared bird with no leg&nbsp;band that had been collared in Illinois!</P>