white boat numbers????

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, and Motors' started by sbe023, Aug 7, 2005.

1. sbe023

sbe023 New Member

<P>division of watercraft told me and jim n. (ducksdemise) that both of our boats have to display our oh# in white not black...YEA RIGHT.whatta you think.&nbsp;&nbsp; them guys are all over edgewater pk. day and night.</P>

2. jmschreck1

jmschreck1 Active Member

<P>I was checked at Ladue 2 years ago and the black #'s were a non-issue.</P>

3. degger

degger New Member

<P>I thought the regs only said a "contrasting color"</P>

4. sbe023

sbe023 New Member

<P>yes contrasting color. i was inspected friday evening and passed without a problem. today a different watercraft guy came up to me and said i need to change the color of my numbers . i passed the inspection friday and the box for (#properly displayed?) was checked off by the person giving me the inspection. got the sticker and paper too. but then again she asked to see the flares ,but not a distress flag. and according to her a alternate form of power(paddle) and (bailing device) were federal rules and not required?? i always had a paddle and a bailing device.i think i will launch elsewhere till they go away! how many of you other hunters have light colored numbers ???</P>

5. duxsrus

duxsrus Member

<P>Mine are black and they have passed every inspection.&nbsp; </P>

6. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

<P>W/ MY OLD LUND I HAD WAS INSPECTED EVERY YEAR AND NO THEY HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MY "OH" NUMBERS</P>

7. DUCDUCGoose

DUCDUCGoose New Member

<P>Mine are black. I have been safety checked 2 or 3 times. It was never an issue. Sounds like they have this years new rookies working your launch.&nbsp;</P>

8. biggysmalls

biggysmalls New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Mine are white. If I had black you wouldn't be able to see them untill you were&nbsp;about 20 yards from me. If I'm not mistaken they need to be able to be seen with bi-nocks from 200 yards or with the&nbsp;naked eye from 50 yards. Does seem kinda stupid law for us though! I think it's geared more for the coastal states that have trouble with&nbsp;drug running (watching the runs and being able to pick out problem boats from a distance).&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">On a cool note my numbers start out with DK series and I didn't even ask for that series.</P>

9. sbe023

sbe023 New Member

<P>i told the rookie i was inspected the other night and showed him the sticker. he said yes but you need contrasting numbers in case we have to come out to find you. i should have said i would give him my exact gps coordinate if he needed to find me!</P>

10. sbe023

sbe023 New Member

<P>why do those pics keep showing up every time i post????????</P>

11. DMan

DMan Active Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I was told the same thing and said it basically came down to the color of the boat. If you have a light colored boat, like the lund tan color, you're fine with black numbers. My boat is an army green and the black numbers are harder to see. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Still need to get around to changing those!!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">D</P>

12. GOFISH

GOFISH Member

My boat is white I wonder what they would say about that.

13. BFG

BFG Well-Known Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">The rig that I just purchased has black numbers over the original aluminum color of the boat.&nbsp; The rest is camo painted.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Can't wait to get told that my letters do not contrast with the background....hoping I don't get the color-blind officer....</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Anchor rope diameter?&nbsp; Are you kidding me?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Wow.....I'm planning on driving up to the first "seasoned looking" officer I can find and asking for an inspection......</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">BFG</P>

14. IMissed

IMissed Member

Contrasting colors I used black &amp; painted that section of the camo a bit lighter, 2 signaling devices flares &amp; power whistle, extra life jackets &amp; throw device, bailing bucket, paddle, backup motor, fire extinguisher,50ft+ of rope heavy enough to tow the boat with, extra rope,vinyl coated anchor doubles as a weight set, toolbox prepared for anything including prop change &amp; hole repair<br> <br> That said if I run into the right officer I'm sure theres probably something I missed!! lol<br> <br>

15. laducks

laducks New Member

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To try and answer the questions about boat numbers here is what I know from five years with watercraft. The numbers simply need to be in a contrasting color of the hull, black on green is fine, 3" block style letters with a space between OH 1234 DH, and 6" between the numbers and the state sticker. As for an alternate power source and the bailing bucket, those are items that the USCG recomends but, does not require. Ohio adopted federal boating regulations back in 1972,&nbsp;and depending on where you boat, the size of your boat, length, and how you propel your boat all determine what the REQUIRED saftey equipment is. Also watercraft officers do have a quota of boating inspection for the year, 300 I think per officer. There is no law against quotas of any kind. To answer the next question, do I still work for watercraft?, NO!!! I do more in a day as a police officer than a watercraft officer does in a month. Your best bet to know what is going on in the boating laws area is pick up a handbook on the regs at any watercraft office or at the boat and sport show. </P>