Where to set up the spread?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunter Forum' started by tripleb, Sep 26, 2005.

1. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">When I first started goose hunting, layout blinds hadn't been developed, just a ground cloth and a covering of corn stubble was the routine.&nbsp; Accordingly, a lot of the time we'd hide in the fence/tree lines and set our decoys within shooting range.&nbsp; Of course, the geese usually preferred to land on the high spots in the fields and our shooting was often pass shooting, rather than shooting at geese dropping into the decoys under such conditions.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">A couple of years ago, I was at Knutson's in MI and was discussing some tactics with a couple of locals and they told me that it was becoming common in that area to again set up in or along fence/tree lines as the geese were starting to avoid the high spots in fields due to the amount of pressure in the area, and the hunters' usual tactic of setting layout blinds and decoys on or near the high spot in the field.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Recently, a couple of friends of mine got into a&nbsp;hunt&nbsp;with a group of experienced goose hunters who had set&nbsp;up so they were&nbsp;hunting along a fence line, rather than the field high point.&nbsp; Of course, when the geese showed up, they&nbsp;reportedly mainly went toward the high point in the field.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I was wondering if anyone has noticed a change in behavior in heavily hunted areas, as&nbsp;described by the guys at Knutsons, which might suggest that geese are beginning to avoid the field high spots?</P>

2. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Usually a set up on a high spot is for visibility... If you set up along a tree line, you tend to loose the line of sight of your decoys and sort of Handcuff yourself. It is kind of hard to set up on a treeline if the wind is in your face with your back to it. If you have scouted, try to set up where the birds are. or set up a little farther ahead of where the birds are.....</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

3. DeWayne

DeWayne Active Member Lifetime Supporter

<P>From scouting, I set up in the spot where the geese last were.&nbsp; Unless they were disturbed, they typically will return to the spot they left the previous day.&nbsp; That being said, I try to keep my blinds from being skylined at the top of a hill.&nbsp; I usually try to go below the crest on the shady side.</P>

4. tripleb

tripleb New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks for the responses.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I thought it was peculiar to set up on the edge of the field, rather than on or near a high point.&nbsp; I haven't done much field goose hunting since I got my dog and it seemed something I would expect more from&nbsp;neophytes than experienced goose hunters.&nbsp; But, as I hadn't done much field goose hunting lately, I was curious to know if there was any other explanation for the location of the set up, as suggested by the fellows at Knutson's&nbsp;concerning conditions in their area.</P>

5. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">DeWayne,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks for the Clarification.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">After reading my post, don't set up on the absolute top, but slightly downhill.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">G.B.</P>