Where does your dog ride?

Discussion in 'Sporting Dog Training' started by Holt, May 10, 2005.

1. Holt

Holt New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Where does your dog ride on the way to the hunt or training?&nbsp; In the cab?&nbsp; In the bed of the truck?&nbsp; Are there any Kennel recommendations for the truck?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks</P>

2. Chappy

Chappy New Member

<P>Well, </P> <P>When I'm my way to a hunt, and going to pick up other people the dog goes in the back of the truck in a kennel, the type of kennel is one of the airplane approved plastic ones, with a cage for the door. Now if I'm meeting people at the hunt, or after all the people are dropped off I bring him into the cab with me, and in the cab with me when we go out to train,store, just a ride, etc.</P>

3. Trainer

Trainer New Member

<P>In the dog kennel in back of truck.&nbsp; Never let the dog ride in the bed without being confined in a crate or box.&nbsp; The smaller, the better.&nbsp; Should not be enough room for the dog to bounce around in case of an accident or sudden stop.&nbsp; Another problem associated with letting the dog stand in the truck bed is the strain on the hips when trying to shift for balance.&nbsp; Jim</P>

4. Orion

Orion New Member

I've got an Easy-Loader "Duece" that fits perfectly in the back of my little Chevy Blazer. Size is 42"W x 30.75"D x 22.5"H. It holds two large retrievers and still allows the back seat to be usable and lets me see out the back window too. I installed two 12 volt computer cooling fans (4.5" dia.) that pulls the air in through the door, over the dogs face (dogs nearly always face the door) and exhausts out the top. I have small water buckets clipped on to the doors, and I have a wireless thermometer attached to the crate as well.<br> <br> I agree with Jim, if you value your dog, don't ever let it ride in the open bed of a pickup, even if you have it leashed. I wouldn't even let a dog ride in a covered pickup bed. Too much chance for injury, even in a minor accident or hard manuever. Don't take the chance. Put the dog in a wire or plastic crate. Crates are cheap compared to vet bills and/or the cost of a new dog.<br> <br> <br>

5. CMDUX

CMDUX Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">SHOTGUN!!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp; I can't believe everyone passed that up!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I built a "dog deck" with 2x4s and a half sheet of plywood in the back of my Dakota.&nbsp; It sits above the wheelwells against the end of the bed by the cab.&nbsp; I can slide my silo's and stuff underneath it and stuff my shell/full bodies from floor to ceiling by the tailgate.&nbsp; Yes, I have a cap.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Dogs roll to and from hunting and training in kennels in the back.</P>

6. Runningdog

Runningdog Active Member

<P>Kennel them in the back of the truck, good idea just in case an accident your dog won't be running around and in any danger</P>

7. Holt

Holt New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">It will be my first year with&nbsp;a&nbsp;hunting companion.&nbsp; If you have an open bed on the truck, would you suggest an insulated kennel?&nbsp; The one she rides in now is just plastic.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks again,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

8. CMDUX

CMDUX Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I wouldn't ride my dog in the open end of a pick-up crated or not.&nbsp; I know personally of three different guys who had dogs stolen out of the bed of their truck........yes, crated.&nbsp; One guy lost his dog and the others lost the dog and the crate.&nbsp; not that the crate is a big deal.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">moreover, I don't want my business out there for everyone to see; my dekes, layout blinds, blah blah blah.&nbsp; Find a used cap.&nbsp; If someone wants in they'll get in, but it will take them longer, cause more commotion, require a tool or whatever.&nbsp; One a--hole anti with some orange paint can't ruin a whole truck load of shells or fullbodies in 10 seconds&nbsp;while you&nbsp;duck (hehe) into McD's to drop a duece on the way home.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">just my two cents</P>