Waterfowlers Boot Camp 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CWULFF, Feb 1, 2016.

1. CWULFF

CWULFF Member

Taken from the OWA Facebook page

Mark Galloway
    20 hrs
    It's with a sad heart, but I need to make this public knowledge... The Waterfowlers Boot Camp and Outdoor Festival will not happen this year. The lack of funding and help to put the show on is just not there..
    We do have some things in the works for this year..

2. mslater

mslater Active Member

That's too bad. I always enjoyed going to see folks and do a little carving with Tom.

3. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

It's run its course years ago.
    Perhaps a swap meet would be better....that way people can still meet and great, get drunk, carve, and find deals for equipment that Boot Camp would never get you.

4. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

That sucks, I never missed one. Hopefully they can, or someone will come up with something to do to get everyone together. Now I have to figure out what to do with that weekend.

5. jason

jason Sponsor Sponsor

Swimming at the Artic Circle is nice that time of year.

6. MikeBeatty

MikeBeatty FKA Boomn4x4

It was doomed when it went from for-profit and taken over by the OWA and went non-profit. Once that happened, all of the motivation that went into making it great disappeared. The heart was there.... just not the motivation.

If you go to the comments section and read, Bryan Schreiber nails it. It really came down to over estimating how much resources there would be available and under estimating how much resources it takes to get the job done.

OWA is just too small to tackle it themselves when it is run strictly on a volunteer basis. There needs to be a good sized group of guys who are committed to planning, organizing, and executing 52 weeks a year. Mentioning the event in the winter meeting, and then 5 guys asking for help in May just doesn't cut it.

7. sofakinglazy

sofakinglazy Active Member

Attached is a list of other accomplishments made by the OWA

Thanks for the effert and good times

8. duxdown

duxdown Member

nothing attached :confused:

9. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

Why are folks critical of the OWA?

Join up, get involved or don't.

Leave it alone for goodness sakes. If you want something to change, change it.

10. IMissed

IMissed Member

uh oh...OWA is mentioned in more than three comments. The outcome is inevitable...

I'm ready...bring the pages of posts...

:popcorn:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  11. MikeBeatty

MikeBeatty FKA Boomn4x4

Not being critical. They are just too big for their britches... A lot of big dreams, but not enough motivation to get it done. That's not a fault of the organization or any individual member, its just a fact.

I was a member for a good decade or so, volunteered as web master for about 8 of those years, was an elected officer for 2 of them.

You are missing the point.... this change is exactly what a lot of people, my self included wanted to see. This is good for the organization. Much of the time I spent with the organization the focus was on getting bigger with little emphasis on its mission "to promote Ohio’s water fowling heritage through education, example and advocacy for all waterfowl enthusiasts in order to conserve our waterfowl resources and ensure that our children’s children can enjoy what we love and share today." Bootcamp didn't fit that mission, a members only marsh didn't fit that mission, swap meets don't meet that mission.

While the demise of Bootcamp is dissapointing to many, it was a distraction to the organization. This will be good for them, they can get back to doing what they were good at, building blinds, installing duck boxes, chairing youth events, etc.

12. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

I understand Mike.

In no way are you being critical and doing nothing about it.

Thank You?

13. sofakinglazy

sofakinglazy Active Member

Sorry
    Here you go.

14. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

How about a one day summer time youth event. I've volunteered the past two summers at a one day event close to my home. This youth day has a pre event sign up that is maxed out each year at 300 kids. Here's some of the activities that are offered:
    The events offered at each session are:

· Kids Fishing Derby- Fishing available to all entries in the farms freshly stocked trout pond.

· Archery Instruction-Learn to shoot a compound bow from expert bowmen.

· B.B. Gun Shoot-Learn basic gun safety and get to shoot a real B.B. gun with experts available to teach you how to hit the target.

· Muzzleloader Demonstration-See how the pioneers hunted and defended their homes and shot black powder guns.

· Fly Casting-Learn how to fly fish.

· Fly Tying-Learn how to tie your own flies and identify hatches from fishing pro, Ron Kyle.

· Dog Training- See hunting bird dogs perform. Learn how to begin training your dog.

· Turkey Calling-Learn how different types of calls work.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  15. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

That sounds nice.

16. heveshot

heveshot Member

My only involvement has been through the ODNR Hunter Ed. was happy to arrange the shotgun instruction for the kids over the years. If you guys come up with a need there give me a holler. If not bring the kids to the state fair, I'll typically be at the air rifle range.
    Al

17. bluegill_22

bluegill_22 New Member

Without the help and involvement of members.. Can't do nothing.

Al all your help was truly appreciated!

18. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is enough interest to resurrect some sort of event like the old Lake Erie festival at Crane Creek?

19. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

There's discussion of a decoy swap meet near Mansfield in August. There is already several decoy makers coming if this event happens.

20. sethgander

sethgander slapshot

its gonna happen 1st annual decoy swap extravaganza!