Venison Roast Recipe

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recipes' started by Curtis17, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Curtis17

Curtis17 Active Member

This is a simple venison roast recipe that requires a crock-pot, very little effort and only a handful of ingredients. It only took about 10 minutes yesterday morning to put this together.

Ingredients:
    (1) Bone-In Venison Roast
    (1) Large Onion
    (1) Bag of Baby Carrots
    (1) 12oz. package of Sliced Salt Pork
    (1) Cup of Water or Beef Stock

Start at 8am and set your slow cooker on the low setting.

Slice onion and layer on the bottom of the crock-pot, place roast on top of the onions and place carrots around the roast.
    [​IMG]

Layer Salt Pork on top of the roast and add water or beef broth
    [​IMG]

After about 6 hours, the salt pork is rendering out all of that fat onto the roast
    [​IMG]

After 10 hours (6pm), it's ready to eat
    [​IMG]

Salt & Pepper to taste and Enjoy
    [​IMG]

You can add potatoes, green beans, celery or whatever vegetables that you like. I like rice with my roasts, but you could also serve with a side of buttered egg noodles, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn or whatever you like or have on hand.

The salt pork really helps to add a lot of delicious, salty fat to the roast. It is extremely tender and one of the best ways to prepare your venison roasts.

I like to use any leftover meat for vension philly cheesesteaks. (Recipe to follow).

2. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Looks good. I just made one the Oyer day that turned out delicious. Super easy too. Mix one pack dry ranch dressing, one pack of dry Italian dressing, and one pack of dry brown gravy with two cups I water. Put roast in the crock with whatever veggies you want (I used new potatoes, carrots, onions, and mushrooms). Pour the dressing mix over the meat and cook on low for about 6-8 hours. Sounds a little weird, but absolutely delicious.