Venison Cabbage Roll Recipe...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recipes' started by Curtis17, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Curtis17

Curtis17 Active Member

Venison Cabbage Rolls

I am always trying to come up with different ways to use my deer meat and I love cabbage rolls, so it just made sense to make these for our friends Super Bowl party. This was the first time I have ever made these and it won't be the last. I took a traditional Polish recipe for cabbage rolls and added sauerkraut; so technically, it’s more of a Romanian style cabbage roll.

Even though I believe everything I churn out of the kitchen is cookbook quality :D, I can honestly say that these cabbage rolls are easily, one of the top 5 venison dishes that I've ever made. Ever! If you like cabbage rolls, I would encourage you to give this one a go!

Ingredients

(2) Pounds of Ground Venison (10% Beef fat added)
    (2) Heads of Cabbage
    (1) Bunch of flat-leaf parsley
    (2) Onions
    (1) Cup of Cooked Rice
    (2) Eggs
    (1) T. of Paprika
    (2) t. of Salt
    (1) t. of Pepper
    (2) 28 oz. Cans of Crushed Tomatoes (or 2 Quarts of Homemade)
    (1) 32 oz. Package of Shredded Sauerkraut
    Olive Oil
    (Makes about 24-30 Medium sized Cabbage Rolls)

[​IMG]

Start by getting a large pot of hot water going for the cabbage.
    In another pot, heat up a some olive oil and sauté your chopped onions for 5-10 minutes until softened. Take them off the heat and set them aside. You want them to cool down.
    [​IMG]

Core the cabbage, scald the heads in your pot of hot water for 30 minutes (don’t boil the cabbage). You just want the cabbage to soften and the leaves to start separating from the head. I use a couple of wooden spoons to help the process.
    [​IMG]

Now would be a good time to get your tomatoes going (If you’re using canned tomatoes from the grocery, this step really isn’t necessary. I do it because I add tomato paste to help thicken the tomatoes that I canned from my garden).
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, in a large bowl…Combine the Venison, Rice, Onions, Parsley, Eggs, Paprika, Salt and Pepper.
    [​IMG]

Mix with your hands until all of the ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
    [​IMG]

Now you’re ready to roll…

I like to cut off the very bottom of the stem from each leaf and make two small slits on each side, so that the leaf lays flat. I use an ice cream scoop to ensure that I get roughly the same amount of meat onto each leaf and then just roll it like a burrito.
    [​IMG]

Layer the rolls in your Dutch oven, pan or pot…
    [​IMG]

Then layer half of the sauerkraut on top (don’t drain the juice, that goes in the pot also)…
    [​IMG]

Then pour half of your tomatoes over the sauerkraut…
    [​IMG]

Repeat the layers again (I had two layers of 13 rolls each).
    [​IMG]

Cover the pot and bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 2 ½ hours and then take it out and let it sit covered for 30 minutes.

Grab a fork and twist the cap on a cold one…it’s time to eat!
    [​IMG]

You can eat them as is, or serve them up with a side of mashed potatoes. Either way, they are definitely worth the little bit of effort that it takes to make them. No question!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Wow that looks great !!! Top notch !

3. jason

jason Sponsor Sponsor

I love stuffed cabbage!

4. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

Lazy man's way to make this. Shred the cabbage and put it on top of meat mixture in a baking dish then place tomato mixture on top of that and then bake covered until meat is cooked through.

d r

5. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

Heretic!!! They're called cabbage rolls for a reason. But some of the guys I used to work with made what they called "unstuffed cabbage" which was a casserole with all the ingredients as traditional stuffed cabbage. Same taste but without the traditional rolls. I like Curtis17 version. Being of Hungarian decent, my mom and grandmother would always pack sauerkraut over the "halupki". But they would also add some nice smoked kolbacz in the mix. I still make it this way. Many nationalities have their version of the cabbage roll. I have seen Jewish versions which tend to lean towards a sweeter rendition with the inclusion of raisins in the braising liquid. On top of smoked kielbasa, I occasionally will add smoked neck bones on top of the rolls as they bake. A little tip....I'll place the neck bones in a clam bag so little bones don't break off into the rolls. You can clean through them after their baked through.

6. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Bambi in a Blanket. :deer:

7. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

PHEW, good thing I'm German and not Hungarian. Although I knew a woman who came over from Hungary and she said "Hungarian is German with a southern accent."

Don't get me wrong, I love them rolled and make them that way at least once a year.

d r