TURKEY DOWN!!!

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by Bshive, May 5, 2005.

1. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">My buddy went out this morning.&nbsp; He heard 2 off the roost and tried to work them with no luck.&nbsp; He sat on a field edge until 9 when he heard 2 birds gobbling in a creek bottom.&nbsp; He high-tailed it over there to find out that one bird had moved up to the top of the ridge and the other bird on the second ridge.&nbsp; He isn't too good of a caller(Box call only) and didn't really know that the birds usually won't work downhill to you.&nbsp; He tried anyways with no luck.&nbsp; He said the birds were answering every call he made, but wouldn't come down the hill.&nbsp; </FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">&nbsp;</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">They drifted off towards the field which he was sitting on earlier, so he headed that direction and never saw them. BUT, he saw 7-8 toms, no jakes, fighting and carrying on up on a flat in a field about 700 yards away.&nbsp; He booked it over to that area and setup about 100 yards out and could see the birds wrapping necks, throwing spurs, and everything else that goes on.&nbsp; Weird thing.....NO HENS AROUND!</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">&nbsp;</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">He hit his box call once and 3 of them came running on a dead run.&nbsp; I let him use my gun today with the Hevi-Shot 6's and scope because he has missed 2x this year with his gun.&nbsp; He stopped 1 of the birds at 47 yards with one shot.&nbsp; (Glad I patterned my gun this year)&nbsp; Bird weighed 20-22 lbs, 7-9 inch beard and about 1 " spurs.&nbsp; This was his first bird all by himself.&nbsp; I have called in 4 birds in the past for him.&nbsp; I kept telling him to hang in there until 11 or 12 because the breeding is really winding down right now.&nbsp; He listened and stuck out it and got rewarded in a huge way. </FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">&nbsp;</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">Birds are really heating up around 9 am right now.&nbsp; He shot his at 11:10 AM.&nbsp; We are seeing a lot of hens all by themselves before they disappear into a brush pile or the like.&nbsp; The hens were with the gobblers&nbsp; this morning off the roost, but he said he didn't see one hen out in the open after 8:30.</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">&nbsp;</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">I'll try to get some pictures tonight.&nbsp; Good Luck!</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

2. FOWLTALK

FOWLTALK New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">sounds like you have too many turks down there......if you need a new</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">buddy.....Well !!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">your occupation, would that be for the insurance industry ?</P>

3. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">FowlTalk,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Yeah, we do most of our work in the insurance industry and we have plenty of turks runnin' around down here.</P>