tricks to keep toes warm in waders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moe324, Dec 25, 2015.

1. moe324

moe324 Active Member

This year it hasn't really been bad enough to get cold toes yet expect with last weekend. I'm using wool socks and cabelas super mag 1600 gram waders. What's everyone's tricks to keeping their feet warm. The reviews on the battery powered heated insoles are horrible. Thanks.

2. TEAMKODIAK

TEAMKODIAK New Member

Believe it or not a good hat will keep your feet warm and to heavy of a sock will make your feet sweat making them cold.

3. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Wear one pair of quality well fitting socks. As stated above, too heavy of socks made from cheap materials will cause your feet to sweat and freeze. Also, wearing tight socks, or multiple pairs can cause poor circulation which will also cause your feet to freeze.

4. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

1. Make sure there's room in your wader. Oakgrove taught me that!
    2. High quality wool
    3. Necessity - liner sock to wick away swear. RingMuskie taught me that!

5. marshman

marshman Member

One pair of thin synthetic sock liners under a pair of wool socks. The liners wick sweat away and the wool insulates even when wet. I have poor circulation in my feet and with these I only get marginally cold in sub-zero temps. Absolutely nothing with cotton. This goes for your clothing as well. Nothing but synthetics.

6. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

When your core becomes cold your body moves blood away from your extremities because they are less important. Make sure it's not because your core is cold.

d r

7. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Had frozen feet for years,.... Hated it.

How I fixed.

I wear size 13 shoes.

When I bought waders or cold weather hunting boots I always bought a size larger 14.

Then only would wear to quality synthetic wool blend sock outer and thin wicker inner sock. (The extra room/air in boot kept my feet from freezing)

On extreme extreme cold days I would tape a hand warmer on top of foot or if you wanted to send the $ used the sole warmers.

I never had cold frozen feet again. It was the little things that make your day a little more enjoyable in the field.

8. heveshot

heveshot Member

Find a honey hole where the birds pour into it regularly, and shoot your limit, you'll be so pumped with adrenaline, you'll never notice if your feet are cold, or you just won't care.
    :)

9. Cjensen

Cjensen Active Member

Stand in warm water

10. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

Two words: Wigwam Ingenuis. Made of olefin and merino wool. They come in two weights. Best I've found.

11. mallard

mallard Member

Felt insoles. Old ice fishing tip. Socks can only do so much.

12. haswell02

haswell02 New Member

Keep feet from sweating and they won't b cold. Try lightweight socks to ramp and then spray with deodorant. Leave those socks at truck. Put ur good heavy wool socks or whatever socks on feet and you'll notice a difference. I did best thing I ever did

13. jarede946

jarede946 Member

Antiperspirant deodorant It will stop your feet from sweating and not get wet and cold

14. dipper

dipper Member

+1 for antiperspirant on the sole of your foot, my feet sweat regardless of what I wear and it works awesome, just buy an extra stick nobody wants their pits smelling like their feet

15. Wolfbangduck

Wolfbangduck Member

1) Thermocells work fine but not for more than 2 hours.
    2) Foot warmer soles on bottom sticky toe warmers on top.
    3) Don't GO!!!

On a side note we have created a new club due to the lack of birds,I do not want to hear, I have not scouted,hunted or it has been a stellar year.I DO NOT HAVE A HONEY HOLE FOR DUCKS!

The new club formed by a few of us.

NZACC.
    North Zone Ammunition Conservation Club. (LOL)