Transplant from Arkansas

Discussion in 'Puddle Duck Hunter Forum' started by Timbertalkn, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Timbertalkn

Timbertalkn New Member

My wife and I have recently moved from Arkansas to rayland, Ohio. I've been hunting fowl for the better part of 20 years. Grew up hunting green timber and rice Feilds, it's looking like it might be ALOT different up here. I have all my own equipment, boat decoys etc., just looking for some new hunting buddies and some advice on where to look. I don't mind scouting and have been when I can its just a whole new environment up here.

2. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

o boy, you are definitely not goin to like ohio duck huntin compared to arkansas. Dont let guys fool you though limits can be reached at a regular basis. It is more of a challenge though. you may fall in love with canada goose hunting. i met a cpl arkansas guys at a gas station a few years ago and they noticed waterfowl decals on my truck. we got to talkin and i took them on their first honker hunt and they fell in love with it. now we are great freinds and i go down there to duck hunt every year and they come up here to goose hunt the last week of season. This arkansas boy told me straight up greenheads in the timber is very hard to beat but honkers finishing with snow in the background is the next best thing he has ever seen! good luck to ya, hopefuly you find someone close and get to tag along. maybe then you can take them down to arkansas and show them green timber huntin.

3. Timbertalkn

Timbertalkn New Member

It's definently gonna be a learning curve but I'm excited about it! You are right it is very hard to beat smashing mallards in the timber, I'll be making more than a few trips back every year to hunt and would be glad to pay back a hunt with a hunt. I'm all about enjoying the sport with good friends and family but I do understand the secressy side of it, I've been burned on a spot more than once. I went last January to the north platte in Wyoming on a duck hunt last year and ended up shooting mostly honkers in dry Feilds, that's about the extent of my goose hunting experience. Dang sure would love to do it again though.

4. WorldBFreebase

WorldBFreebase Resident Antagonist

you should have left all your **** with a buddy in Arkansas. for you, if you are going to hunt in ohio, I would highly recommend having a shrink on retainer.

5. FEATHERDUSTER

FEATHERDUSTER Well-Known Member

Don't let these guys get you down, long 60 day season. You will have to learn what 5 days to hunt and where!!! On the up side, you will not have to worry about what flock of birds to watch, like in the timber. Good luck you will have some good days.

6. Timbertalkn

Timbertalkn New Member

It's gonna be fun I'm sure learning new areas and meeting new people. I've already had a couple guys from owf reach out to help and it has been greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a great season!

7. FEATHERDUSTER

What part of the state is Rayland in?

8. Timbertalkn

Timbertalkn New Member

Due east of Columbus on the state line

9. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

Hunting partner of mine moved up here from North Arkansas 3 years ago. He managed to save enough money on shells to buy a nice new semi auto...:)

10. FEATHERDUSTER

I think chARle$ lives east of Columbus, or was that Cleveland????? :confused:

11. I'm in Youngstown and hunt 6 days a week. Pm me if interested

12. SteveinCanton

SteveinCanton Member

There is good hunting on the Ohio River, just make sure you follow the rules of West Virginia. I grew up right across the river from Rayland in Wellsburg and shot many limits of duck at the mouth of Buffalo Creek. There is also a sandbar about 1 mile south of Cross Creek along the Ohio side of the river that mallards love to rest from the current, these 2 locations are within a 5 to 6 mile boat ride from the Rayland Marina. Across from the marina is short creek, this is a great area to target geese, the state of West Virginia made rt 2 a 4 lane rd in this area, when they did this they cut down most of the trees and left anywhere from 50 to 100 yards from the rd to the river in short grass that the geese love to eat, they then fly to the short creek area to water. The only negative of the pike island pool and the Rayland area is now it is in the north zone because you are about 10 miles north of interstate 70, the late season is when the river really heats up with diver ducks along with mallards and geese.

13. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

you can now become a Toledo Rockets football fan

14. Timbertalkn

Timbertalkn New Member

^^^^ZINGA^^^^ yeah that was sad

15. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. Timbertalkn

Timbertalkn New Member

Headed up north and met some great guys from the sight this weekend! We really enjoyed our hunt and appreciated the hospitality. "Buckeyeduckslayer" and "Steve in Canton" are both Grade A men and hope to share a hunt with them again soon. Will be heading to the Ohio/Indiana line, around Richmond, this weekend if anybody would like to hook up and try to find some birds.

17. sofakinglazy

sofakinglazy Active Member

I would spend as much time as you can at GLSM its the next best thing to Arkansas here in Ohio