Took a Jake

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by Howman, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Howman

Howman New Member

<P>Cool Crisp Morning this Friday April 22nd. Birds in Portage County didn't start gobbling until 7:10am. I was about to move when they started up. 3 of them, all jakes. Came down the other hill side on the run and stopped at the creek, thought I was screwed. They hopped over it and continued up to me. One went to the right (he was the biggest of the group), one to the left and one straight in. Took the one coming straight in after blowing the shot to the right on Tuesday. Thought about pulling a BSHIVE and shooting left handed, but the birds were on me quick at 7:15. 5 inch, 1/2 inch spurs, 17 pounds.</P>

2. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P><FONT size=4>NICE JOB!!</FONT></P>

3. Howman

Howman New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Some might call it a tom KC. I guess I always was taught to look at the tail and see how mature it is and even and the size of these spurs don't impress me. The tail is pretty high and low.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Have fun this weekend man.</P>

4. jeffk

jeffk New Member

<P>My first turkey six years ago was only 12 1/2 lbs. Very small spurs but a 5 1/2" beard. Most of our jakes have smaller than 1/4" spurs around 15 lbs., and around 5 -6" beards.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I have seen a few 19 lbs. jakes with very little spurs checked in here. 4 -7" beards on them.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

5. FOWLTALK

FOWLTALK New Member

<P>i know i'd be pulling the trigger on any Jake, that one will eat up good.</P>

6. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P>all taste the same too me, great job on that bird...</P>

7. matt

matt New Member

<P>im still just trying to get one </P>