Three Men Recently Convicted of Poaching in Maumee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptMark, Sep 28, 2015.

1. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Three Men Recently Convicted of Poaching in Maumee

FINDLAY, OH -
    Three men were recently convicted of poaching a white-tailed deer buck in the city of Maumee last Thanksgiving, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife. The deer was poached by the three individuals at night during the early morning hours with a crossbow.

The incident happened at approximately 3 a.m. near the St. Joseph Church and School. The 10-point buck had been a frequent resident of Side Cut Metro Park in Maumee and had been photographed numerous times by wildlife photographers in the park. The deer was killed near the sidewalk in a residential yard, and was likely shot from a vehicle.

Zachary Jarrell of Perrysburg was charged with 4 violations by the Division of Wildlife and 2 charges by the city of Maumee for the incident. Jarrell was found guilty and sentenced to 120 days in jail, 110 days of which were suspended pending he has no other violations for three years. The remaining 10 days will be served by electronic home monitoring. He was also ordered to pay $500 in restitution to the state for the value of the deer and $300 in restitution to the state to cover the cost of DNA testing during the case. Jarrell must also pay $593 in fines and court cost and complete 60 hours of community service. In addition, Jarrell had his hunting license suspended for three years in Ohio and 42 other member states of the Wildlife Offender Compact. He must also forfeit the crossbow used in the violation to the State of Ohio.

Nicholas Boggs of Rossford and Allison Swift of Perrysburg where also charged in the incident for aiding Jarrell in poaching the deer. They each paid $198 in fines and cost for their involvement in the event.
    The public can report wildlife violations through the Turn-In-A-Poacher (TIP) Program. Established in 1982, TIP allows Ohioans to call a toll-free number from anywhere in the state to report wildlife violations. Calls regarding wildlife violations can be placed anonymously at 1-800-POACHER (800-762-2437

2. toby

toby Member

Seems like a slap on the wrist to me.

3. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

+1

4. Qback5

Qback5 Member

+2

Depending on what crossbow he was using, the stiffest penalty was could have been forfeiting the firearm. I was surprised nothing about surrendering the antlers was mentioned either.

5. CaptMark

These trivial penalties do not deture poaching , when will the ONDR realize this ?????
    A few hundred bucks and home detention ? Really ?

Should be a $10,000 fine and 30 days mandatory jail time and lifelong ban on Ohio hunting !!

Poachers would then think twice.

Very sad.

6. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

Penalties are set by the judge not the ODNR.

d r

7. CaptMark

If that is so. Then the courts need to step it up.

8. maumee44

maumee44 Member

they shot the deer right across the street from me, the jerks

9. WorldBFreebase

WorldBFreebase Resident Antagonist

not exactly true. Penalties are set in the ORC and OAC. Judges have discretion to sentence within the parameters set.

10. MikeBeatty

MikeBeatty FKA Boomn4x4

Its not the courts either. The penalty guidelines are established by the Ohio Revised code. Each crime carries with it a specific charge, each charge carries a specific fine and penalty. Most wildlife crime are first or third degree misdemeanors. No misdemeanor carries manditory jail time, maximum time is 180 days and the maximum fine for a first degree is $1,000. The courts just can't make up fines and jail times, they simply enforce the laws as determined by legislature.

11. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

If all they paid was $500 for restitution for the deer, it must not of been much of a deer. They have the new mandatory price list for what restitution is for curtain scores of antlers. I think it goes up to $50000 or so. Not the smartest guys in the world were they.

12. duck rookie

Let me clarify a little. Yes, fines are set through the ORC and the ODNR fought for antler size fines. The larger the buck the larger the fine however, I've talked with at least one Wildlife Officer who said many judges simply don't understand the value of a large buck not just to hunters but to public in general. They don't understand what it takes for a buck to reach "trophy" size.

In other words, they need to have a training session for judges so they understand why the fines are the way they are and not to go with the lowest bid from the defense attorney.

d r

13. CaptMark

Who sets how Long hunting license suspended ?

14. duck rookie

It's in the ORC but the judge can use his/her discretion.

d r

15. IMissed

IMissed Member

$500 seems really low for a mature buck or even just a 2 yr old 10 ptr. $2000 would be more of a deterrence starting point IMO.
    Added: If anything, the judge could suspend a portion of the sentence (fine) pending no future violations.
    If the poacher was a 1st offender which means 1st time caught, and was cooperative, admitted guilt showed remorse, good work history, all the goodies, perhaps $500 would be an appropriate fine for 1 muskrat over limit.

16. DMan

DMan Active Member

I'm reading it as it's going to cost him about $1,300 out of his pocket, 60 hrs of community service, can't hunt for 3 yrs, and is on home arrest for 10 days, which means me likely can't go to work.

I think you guys are nuts if you don't feel that's a stiff enough penalty.

17. Qback5

Qback5 Member

You should read that as cannot hunt "LEGALLY" for 3 years...which means they are preventing him from doing something he wasn't doing! He can quite easily continue to poach, particularly if he perceived the punishment as a slap on the wrist. We don't know the whole story here...this could be one of many deer that he has poached...or it could be his first.

18. jeff51814

jeff51814 Well-Known Member

Never ceases to amaze me how we all act as if we never break a law. But think these guys should be drawn and quartered.
    Sure, I get that they poached a deer. But should they NEVER get to hunt again? Really?? Should you never get to drive again after you cause a wreck? How about when you get caught speeding? Because it wasn't your fist time, just the first time you got caught??
    Nobody complains that the penalty/fine isn't severe enough when they're paying it.

19. Cjensen

Cjensen Active Member

I'm sure he could hunt illegally all he wants but a second offense won't be taken lightly and his odds of being caught would increase greatly.

20. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

Good point Jeff, My guess is that he won't be doing this again anytime soon. After all he has the suspended charges over his head if he does and gets caught.