They Call themselves guides????

Discussion in 'Goose Hunter Forum' started by Goosebuster, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I couldn't sleep the other night so I got out of bed at 2:30am.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I turned the tv to the outdoor channel to see what was on. I don't know what show was on, but they were goose hunting in Maryland(which has a growing population of resident Canadians) in a field for geese.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">The amount of birds was astonishing, the dekes looked good, but the calling from the guides sucked!!!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Even my girlfriend that woke up said those guys are calling like poop!!!! </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">they were using big river flutes, nothing against that call but It was what I started with.&nbsp; I would have to say that those so called guides would have to be lucky to shoot birds calling like that in Ohio.....</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Goosebuster</P>

2. Brad617

Brad617 New Member

<P>I saw the same show. They sounded like me calling but a little worse and I SUCK!!! and there shooting was terrible.</P>

3. MobyDuck

MobyDuck New Member

<P>I hate to break it to ya Goosebuster, but If they are killing birds in Maryland...they can surely kill these birds in Ohio.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Maryland hunting is tough to say the least. These Ohio birds get little pressure compared to anything in Maryland.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">You may have learned something from this experience...It does not always take a high powered caller to kill geese. Spreads, decoys, and location are prime factors.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Some of the best guides in Maryland use an old flute...in combunation with 10 dozen stuffers.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Ohio geese are primarily location geese...find the fields...set the decoys...kill your birds. How many birds did you call of another field when their minds were made up?</P>

4. Blaux

Blaux New Member

<P>that would be called running traffic..</P>

5. Garyoutlaw

Garyoutlaw Member

<P>I saw it and your right.. it did sound a little rough but pulling birds off another field is tough as hell but trust me it was not because they were blowing flutes.I still own flutes and side by side with a S/R I still can keep up and often find my mod. flutes work&nbsp;better when fineshing birds VOLUME is the only weak point.</P>

6. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">UHHHH&nbsp; Bo, Who called in your Orange Neck band last year???????????? </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Okay, so I get a little excited. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">The shooting was terrible. They had a flock come in and they shot at least 9 time (three Guys) and only one bird fell.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I know the camera makes birds look farther than they are, but We like to finish the birds. Have them land within 10-15 yds. Those guys were shooting at passing birds. The one guys was supposedly a world class trap shooter. He missed the first birds he shot at.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

7. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P>hey maybe his gun broke and he didn't have any electrical tape or a pen handy</P>

8. suskyflats

suskyflats New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">All I am saying is that finishing birds in Maryland and finishing birds in Ohio are two different worlds. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Every field on the eastern shore of maryland has a blind in it. I goose hunted here all season last year and never saw another goose rig.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">low pressure = easier birds</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">BTW are orange neck collared birds harder to call in (LOL)?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

9. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">""<STRONG>All I am saying</STRONG> is that finishing birds in Maryland and finishing birds in Ohio are two different worlds. ""</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">????????????????????</P>

10. suskyflats

suskyflats New Member

<P>More pressure = Harder to finish birds</P>

11. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Not harder to call in, Just have to be patient. I don't know exactly where you hunt, but the birds around northeast ohio get hammered. Even the birds I hunt around Ashland county take their toll....I think Crips calling, a good spread, and how you respond to birds is how to kill geese. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Put&nbsp;Myself and Blaus&nbsp;in a field adjacent to you and I bet we will have a hell of a fight to see who finishes birds........</P>

12. MobyDuck

MobyDuck New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Goosebuster -- I am a survivalist caller.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Honk</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Grunt</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">chuckle</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Laydown</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I am a simple man.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">A good caller really helps (no doubt). I am just saying MD birds get TONS of pressure.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

13. DeWayne

DeWayne Active Member Lifetime Supporter

<P>Can you explain the "chuckle" on a goose call?&nbsp; In all my years of waterfowling, I've never heard that term related to goose calling.</P>