The Snow Gobbling Tom

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by deeg1502, Apr 25, 2005.

1. deeg1502

deeg1502 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="courier new, courier, mono" size=3>Yesterday wasn't the picture perfect turkey hunt since I'm from Georgia and all. I've never hunted in the snow and yesterday was a first for me. I took a girl out who wanted to turkey hunt, so we got up around 5:00 am and got our stuff on and headed out into the woods. We went to a first setup where I've heard this one gobbler gettin' crazy since opening day. We both just sat there and waited for the sky to lighten up. While we were sitting there we saw how amazingly beautiful it was that Sunday morning. Goodness gracious it was truly awesome. Well by 6:45 we didn't hear any gobbles, so I decided to do the walk and call tactic. We walked probably about a mile and a half and crossed a road and headed off up a hill into the deep part of the woods. I probably got about a half a mile into the woods and stopped to call. As soon as I yelped and went right into a cutting series on my mouth call, the girl with me said "I hear him!" She was so excited. We set up on the top of the knoll and got ready. While all of this is going on I'm still fascinated by the snow coming down hard and how beautiful everything is looking. I mean everything is white. Well after about 10 minutes that 24 pound gobbler was about 60 yards from us just struttin' and drumming. I purred quietly and he triple gobbled at us. It was so cold that when he gobbled you could see the humidity from his breath. His back was covered in snow and his tail feathers were white when he fanned out in full strut. So he came in 20 more yards and she shot that bird. It was her first and turkey ever and I was merely amazed with how awesome it was for her to get her first bird on a day like yesterday. That bird was at least a 3 year old Tom. This bird has been hunted pretty hard. We have been hearing stories from people talking about how this bird was getting smart, plus he has been henned up for the past couple of weeks. I just thought well if he has been henned up what a perfect day to kill a gobbler. The hens were on nest keeping the eggs warm and MR. TOM was out by himself. We froze a little but as soon as we heard that rippling gobble we warmed up immensely. I've never killed a Gobbler from Ohio, but this upcoming weekend I'm going for myself. I've called up 5 turkeys for people so far and now its time for me to go out and get one for myself. I love hunting public lands because there are many birds there, but some people don't have the patience to kill them. They hear calling day end and day out and you just have to learn to chill a little. Give some soft clucks, purrs, and yelps and sit tight. I did that on Meads land last Thursday and many guys were talking about how hard this one bird has been hunted and I took a kid out there and we were in the mere vicinity of the birds roosting site, we set up and I got out my crystal slate and gave some soft tree yelps and clucks and waited...within a hour he was right on top of us. I'm just adjusting to the terrain here in Ohio. In Georgia we have flat lands, so its easier to pursue a bird, but in Ohio I've learned alot about being a diverse woodsman. I hope everyone is having a super turkey season. If anyone ever wants to hook up and hunt I'm always in vinton and jackson county on the weekends. Just shoot me an email. I love to hunt with others. I'll call with you to get that hard hunted bird it. Take care and have a safe and blessed week!</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="Courier New" size=3></FONT>&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="Courier New" size=3>David Ellis</FONT></P>

2. deeg1502

deeg1502 New Member

<P>Yeah...I know but i think its the lack of scouting and experience. Where I was hunting I had at least four different birds gobbling. I worked with the NWTF for the youth turkey hunt and guided some boys for their first gobblers on the youths opening weekend hunt and both boys killed two TOMS on meads land, but i hunted there on a thursday and it was like a war was going on. I heard people all over. It sounded like a flock of sick turkeys, but yeah not many people got birds from there. I just feel unsafe on public lands sometimes because of the carelessness people act upon. See a bush moving and then shoot. I will never take my kid to a public land just because of this one conflicting problem. Well I wish you the best with the rest of the season hunt. Take care and thank you!</P> <P>David</P>

3. deeg1502

deeg1502 New Member

<P>It was a youngster. I love to see others get the same Adrenalin rush i get when&nbsp;i hear or see that turkey coming in. Yesterday I was shaking just because that old long bearded turkey was right on top of us. She really loves it and wants to go again. I got many people who want to go again, but not enough time, but I love to get people involved. Thats what its all about. Getting the youth involved instead of them being out on the streets doing something unproductive. I wish you the best and take care. Good luck and GOD bless!</P>