Thanksgiving Teal

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recipes' started by kylemwalls, Nov 23, 2013.

1. kylemwalls

kylemwalls Member

I have quite a few teal taking up space in my freezer. I am thinking about doing something with them for Thanksgiving. They are whole breasts with bone in currently. Any ideas it seems like everyone has some fantastic recipies on here. I have never shot/ eaten teal before and don't want to screw it up.

2. SteveinCanton

SteveinCanton Member

Do they still have skin on or not?

3. Murphy21280

Murphy21280 Member

Duck and Morel Mushroom Ravioli, great appetizer for Thanksgiving.

4. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

Louisiana duck recipe. Makes a good duck even better.

5. SteveinCanton

SteveinCanton Member

Teal is a light flavored bird so I like to keep it simple. For a thanksgiving meal I would sautéed the breast in a brown butter after lightly seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve over mashed sweet potatoes with a cranberry gin reduction.

If you still have the skin on the breast I would do a high heat bake, turn your oven as high as it will go, sear the breast skin side down in a cast iron skillet for @ 2 min to crisp the skin, transfer to the over for 5 to 7 min to finish the breast. Serve with a traditional stuffing and top it off with duck gravy.

Cranberry gin reduction
    Canned cranberry sauce
    1/2 cup of gin that has the alcohol burned off
    Mix the cranberry sauce and gin in a sauce pan and reduce over low heat until you get the desired consistancy that you like. If you do not like the juniper flavor of gin you can also make a great reduction by mixing the cranberry sauce with either balsamic vinegar or port wine.

For the duck gravy, take the all of the meat and bones from the ducks you kill and make a duck stock. The broth from this stock will give you a great gravy.

To make the stock oven roast carrots, celery and onions until they brown. Add the veggies to a stock pot with the duck and add water until you cover the ingredients. Add herbs like thyme and rosemary for flavor. Bring the stock to a boil, once the stock starts to boil turn the heat to low and reduce the water by half. Drain the stock through cheese cloth or a sieve, the reduced stock makes wonderful gravy.

I take the meat from the stock and cool down and make cold chicken salad by mixing with celery, onions and mayo, serve on a baguette with tomatoes and lettuce.

6. SteveinCanton

SteveinCanton Member

What is Louisiana duck recipe?

7. peanut

peanut Active Member

Teal is hands down my favorite duck to eat. Dip bonless breasts in egg wash, lightly bread in seasoned crumbs of your choice, and brown in good butter. Simple and very good. I also love dove nuggets this way.

8. kylemwalls

kylemwalls Member

No skin on, just full breasts with bone in.