Taxidermists in South West Ohio?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Bshive, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Does anybody know of any good, moderately priced taxidermist in SW Ohio.&nbsp; I had a nice 8 pt mounted last year and the stitching looks terrible.&nbsp; He was a heavy smoker as well and after 3 months of having the mount at home, it still stinks.&nbsp; The first day I had it back, I brushed it with a soft white brush and it turned yellow from the tar.&nbsp; I paid $250 for the mount.&nbsp; I&nbsp;am also looking to have several ducks done this year from my trip to North Dakota.&nbsp; I know a guy that will do the ducks for $125, I think.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Bryan&nbsp; </P>

2. mac

mac New Member

Bshive, A suggestion for your deer head.&nbsp;Take a clean rag and soak it with windex, wipe the hair always following the hair pattern, never against as you can damage the hair. Don't soak the hide, just wipe it down till your rags come away clean. Now try fabreze on the hair to help cover up any remaining odor. There should not be any problem applying it but try the back of the head first just in case&nbsp;there is an adverse reaction. You may need several applications to get good results. Let me know&nbsp;how it goes. As for Taxidermists in your area,&nbsp;You can try your yellow pages and then GO visit thier showrooms. Don't let the price be the only factor, learn what good bird Taxidermy is and do some looking around. Don't be afraid to take some pictures of live posses along to compare. You are welcome to check out my web page that&nbsp;has a link on&nbsp;the sponsers page&nbsp;to view my bird work as well. I am 2 hours north of you so may not be worth it to you but it doesn't cost anything to look. Hope you have a great time in the Dakotas. My best , Jim McNamara&nbsp;

3. punkboy8826

punkboy8826 New Member

<P>man sorry about your deer, try cleaning it like mac said, but the stitches are the way they are now. pickled hides do not get the stretch like a proffesionally tanned hide. when the pickled hide dry's it really shrink and you get the strech stich look. please ask if your taxidermist get there hides proffessionally tanned by a tannery. it only cost 30 to 40 dollars more to have them done but they are done right!</P>

4. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P>Thanks for the info!</P>