Summer Sausage Recipe?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recipes' started by Curtis17, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Curtis17

Curtis17 Active Member

There are so many different variations for summer sausage online. Some call for water, some call for added pork fat and some don't even have the cure listed. I have lost my recipe and can't find it anywhere. I remember most of the ingredients, but none of the measurements and the recipes I've found online are too inconsistent.

Does anyone have a standard summer sausage recipe? I searched the forums, but didnt find anything. It must include the cure (tender quick). I'm not interested in serving up a batch of botulism to my family.

Thanks
    -CT

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. Curtis17

Curtis17 Active Member

All is well with the world again. My recipe has been recovered. Not that anyone gives a hoot.

3. peanut

peanut Active Member

The best recipe I ever had said: "don't waste venison on summer sausage, use it for something good"........:)

4. wooodsfield

wooodsfield New Member

Sorry all I could remember is wine.

5. copper

copper Member

Post it up here..then you'll always have it

6. bandseeker

bandseeker New Member

unless if you get banned! :D Seriously though, I would be interested in checking it out. I end up with alot of ground venison.

7. Thebear

Thebear New Member

I'd like to see your recipe because I think venison summer sausage, bologna, and all that is garbage and a great way to waste venison. A friend of mine swears he makes the best sausage around and I tried the venison bologna and summer and it has zero flavor, maybe he's getting old and forgot seasoning im not sure. But if you don't mind sharing your recipe I would like to try it.

I do a 70/30 ratio and grind my own pork, that way I'm not getting the leftover crap at the stores. I usually make four kinds, breakfast(bulk), italians, beer brats,(both cases and spun) and then hot pepper cheddar smoked. The hot pepper cheddar smoked, I use fibrous casings and hot smoke at 220 for 3hrs, then down to 200 until the internal temp is 165, and then it goes directly into an ice bath. Gotta let them cool over night and it's the best stuff out there. No need to worry about nitrates and any type of contamination.

8. camomen

camomen New Member

Smoked up a 10lb batch of LEM Andouille flavor with pepper cheese added the other day using goose breast and a pound of pork added.....very tasty !:)

9. ducksnbucks

ducksnbucks Member

If you think bologna or summer sausage is a waste of venison then you've never had any that was good

10. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

11. Thebear

Thebear New Member

As I stated in my post; which you quoted but may have not read; the only bologna and summer sausage I have had were made by a friend that I do processing with; and it was horrible. Hence why I told him to leave mine alone and not ruin it.

12. SteveinCanton

SteveinCanton Member

I agree with you Bear, I have never had summer sausage or bologna that did justice to venison. I would much rather make a good Italian sausage or braut. I also grind my own so that I know that the deer I have is the one I shot and not a mix of many different deer like many deer processors do.

13. Curtis17

Curtis17 Active Member

Venison Summer Sausage Recipe

I just saw all of the requests to post up my recipe. As far as summer sausage not being a good way to use your venison, I strongly disagree. Summer Sausage is not only a great way to use up some of your ground venison, it is also a great way to introduce venison to family and friends.

Ingredients for a 6lb recipe.

4 pounds of ground venison (course grind)
    2 pounds of ground pork
    3 Tbsp. of Morton's Tender Quick
    2 Tbsp. of Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp. of Mustard Seed
    1 Tbsp. of Garlic Powder
    3 tsp. of Liquid Smoke
    2 Cups of Cold Water
    (6) 1lb-size fibrous casings

Soak fibrous casings for about 10 minutes in luke-warm water and set aside. This helps to soften them up a little bit so that you can stuff them as tightly as possible.

Mix cold water, tender quick, black pepper, mustard seed, garlic powder and liquid smoke in a large plastic bowl and mix well with a wisk.

Add ground venison and ground pork to the bowl and mix everything together by hand for about 5 minutes.

stuff each casing with meat mixture using a sausage stuffer (I have a kitchen aid with attachment) or you can suff large zip-loc bags and cut a hole in the corner of a bag and stuff your casings. (it's like a homemade pastry stuffer). Be sure to squeeze the meat mixture as tightly as possible into the casing and eliminate as much air as possible. Use your hand to twist the casing (like a loaf of bread) and clamp with metal hog rings, or use zip-ties like I do. They work just as good.

After you stuff and tie all of the casings, place them on a cookie sheet with a paper towl underneath and keep it in the refrigerator on the bottom shelf for 17-24 hours. This is a must. You have to let the Tender Quick, which is the curing salt, to develop it's flavor and color. The amount of Tender Quick that I used in this recipe, is the exact ratio that is needed for the amount of meat being used. (1 Tbsp. per 2 pounds of meat.)

After your sauages have cured overnight, place them directly on the second to lowest oven rack and place the cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch the drippings, in a pre-heated 200degree oven for 6 hours. After 6 hours, turn the oven to 225 degrees and cook for another 1 to 2 hours until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. I use a simple meat thermometer.

After your sausages have reached 160 degrees, take them out and immediately put them into an ice water bath for 20 minutes. You want to stop the cooking time as quickly as possible. After the ice water bath, just dry them off with a paper towl and hang them. You will need to let them hang at room temperature for 2 hours. This is considered the "blooming" process. This is the second most important thing to do, besides letting the mixture cure in the refrigerator, because the blooming process helps develop flavor and color.

After your sausages have come to room temperature, just wrap them tight in butchers paper or vaccum seal them and throw them in the refrigerator or freeze them and enjoy with crackers, cheese and a good beer.

This is a basic recipe. You can add freshly chopped jalapenos, cheese, pesto, sun dried tomatoes, chopped green olives, crushed red pepper or just about anything you can think of that would work well with cured sausage.

The finished product...
    [​IMG]

14. bandseeker

bandseeker New Member

Do you see anything wrong with using smaller "stick like" casings for this?

15. Curtis17

Curtis17 Active Member

I don't see any problem at all.

I would just watch your cooking time in the oven or smoker. The smaller sticks probably wouldn't take as long to reach an internal temp of 160 degrees.

The main factors in getting that summer sausage flavor, is using the correct spices, the right amount of tender quick, letting it cure overnight, cooking to 160 degree internal temperature, a quick ice water bath right out of the oven and then letting them dry to room temperature for a couple of hours. I don't think it matters what casing you use. There are some people who just wrap the meat into a log using aluminum foil.

16. Thebear

Thebear New Member

My buddy said he doesnt let his "bloom" and doesnt let it cure overnight. I'm willing to bet thats why it doesnt have any flavor.

Thanks, I've got about 180lbs of venison left so I'll give this a try

17. Curtis17

Curtis17 Active Member

I hope you do. Also, Ask your buddy how in the heck he expects to make cured sausage, without actually "curing" the the sausage? :rotate: