Sons 8th birthday

Discussion in 'Lake Erie' started by silvermoose, Apr 5, 2016.

1. silvermoose

silvermoose Member

Looking to take my son out for a perch trip for his 8th birthday this month, or early next month.

Have a few questions first.
    Is it worth perch fishing this time of year?

Would walleye fishing be better? (My thoughts are he's younger the smaller fish would be easier to handle and more action for him)

And was hoping to take 7 people, 4 kids and 3 adults. Anyone no of a charter that can handle that?

2. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the walleye bite will be better since most perch trips don't start until late summer. Are you looking for casting or trolling. I go out each year with Sara J for walleye and have a blast but it's trolling. He might be jigging this time of year, IDK. Any good charter will be able to accommodate your son and his friends. Weather can also be an issue. If I were you I would defer it to the summer.

d r

3. OhioFisher

OhioFisher Member

I have fun with the kids on my charter but weather plays a very important role. Not only with water/fishing but with kids and nervousness/sickness. I would suggest a June trolling trip, we stay busy, weather normally decent, fish bite ok, and its relatively simple and they are reeling the fish in, that's their concern.

Good luck, let me know

4. silvermoose

silvermoose Member

That's what I've come to conclusion. Gonna hold off til later in summer. Thanks guys

5. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

You could always present him with a nice little tackle bag filled with all the necessities for a good fall bite perch trip(spreaders, hooks, sinkers, a bottle of Bomine, hand wipes etc.) with the promise he'll get to use it when the time is right! Or put everything in a nice aerated minnow bucket, like a basket of cheer!

6. silvermoose

silvermoose Member

Not a bad idea. Thank u sir