snap keels

Discussion in 'Decoys & Decoy Carving' started by quillbilly, Apr 28, 2005.

1. quillbilly

quillbilly New Member

<P>Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the new snap keels. I would like to get some to use for marsh hunting and remove the keels for field hunting thanks, Mike.</P>

2. r_b_burg

r_b_burg New Member

<P>I've got some of the GHG life size mallards with the snap keel.&nbsp; I don't think taking them on and off would be that easy.&nbsp; I know when I bought&nbsp;them on they were tough as heck to get snapped into the proper position.&nbsp; I&nbsp; personally just left the keel off of a dozen and use them in the field.</P>

3. Chappy

Chappy New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">If your looking for more movement because of the weighted keels for marsh hunting then I tell you to take the keels off and replace them with the water keels that GHG has, you can find them at:</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;<A href="http://www.woods-n-water.com/index.asp?itemNum=3457" target=_blank>http://www.woods-n-water.com/index.asp?itemNum=3457</A></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">But your thinking of using them for field hunting then I'd do 1 of 2 things.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">1 buy a dozen mallards and not put the keels on.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">2 I know that GHG is are coming out this year with full body mallards, or I know G&amp;H have shell mallards that goes on stakes for field hunting also.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Either way&nbsp;you go would be ago.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Last year on the last day of the northern season we were hunting a horse&nbsp;farm with sheet water and use regular decoys with the keel on them we just had to push them in the soft ground or in the sheet water, along with the G&amp;H shells and had a&nbsp;AWESOME hunt.&nbsp;</P>

4. quillbilly

quillbilly New Member

<P>Stan, I agree&nbsp;that is how we kill 75% of our puddle ducks around here. It's just nice too have a few mallard deks mixed in on the day's when the decoying is a little tough.</P>