sit

Discussion in 'Sporting Dog Training' started by kr, Jun 22, 2005.

1. kr

kr New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I&nbsp; have 5 month lab and having trouble when I blow the whistle to sit </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; she comes back to me and than sits. is there any drills I can do to make</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; her sit and look at me where she is at&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;when I blow the whistle.&nbsp; ty</P>

2. Trainer

Trainer New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">She does not understand that a single whistle means sit and two or multiply blasts means to come or heel.&nbsp; Sometimes in the process of teaching a dog to heel or leash breaking, they get so tight they think that is where they should allways be until sent to retrieve.&nbsp; It is a confidence situation which means she really does not know exactly what you want.&nbsp; Teach her to sit aon a single whistle blast as you walk her on a&nbsp; lead at the heel position.&nbsp; If she does not sit immediately, you need to create urgency that her bottom needs to quickly head for the ground when she hears that single blst.&nbsp; You do not do this by raising your voice or creating pain.&nbsp; You blow the whistle and quickly sit her.&nbsp; Use the sit command after the whistle blast at first to make sure she understands the whistle blast and sit command means the same.&nbsp; You need to do this until you can walk her at heel and without you stopping, blow the whistle and have her immediately sit when you are still on the move.&nbsp; If she starts to get up, blow again and command to sit.&nbsp; If she refuses, blow one continuous blast on the whistle, at the same time running(or at least moving quickly) toward her and sitting her down.&nbsp; This creates urgency and she will remember the negative response when she moves without given the command to do so.&nbsp; When she does well at this, she has proven she knows that a single blast means to sit.&nbsp; Now what I would do is sit her down (allways using the whistle rather than the voice command for now) walk away at least 50 -75 yds.&nbsp; Call her with the voice &amp; whistle command.&nbsp; Stop her every 10yds with the whistle command.&nbsp; If at any time she refuses or slowly sits, create the urgency as before.&nbsp; When you can take her to a football field and stop her on any yard line you prefer, then again she has proven she knows what you want.&nbsp; Put a ck. cord on her, and do the same thing only sending her directly away.&nbsp; You will need the cord because she will not be facing you.&nbsp; An ecollar can be used at this point if you know without a doubt how to use it so fear and confusion does not become a problem.&nbsp; There are many responses at each point you may see.&nbsp; If you have any questions about these issues, feel free to contact me.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">In a hunting situation, it is actually easier for you and the dog.&nbsp; The dog learns through a few successful retrieves with some handling, that if she listens to your whistle command, she will find the bird.&nbsp; The personality &amp; drive of the dog will dictate the amount of stress you can apply to get the required results.&nbsp; Jim</P>

3. kr

kr New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">thanks Jim </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I will work on that.</P>