Ohio Waterfowler Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">This morning I set up in the exact same area as mat and I yesterday. I had a feeling. I walk in about 40 yards closer than yesterday, put a jake decoy on top of a hen and went to the right about 25 yards. Just as I sat down&nbsp;I heard a cluck than another about 60 -70 yards straight ahead on the river bank in a tree. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I looked at my watch and it was 5:45. At 6:10 the same tom gobbled at the same spot as yesterday. In 20 minutes he only gobbled 6 times.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I nevered called and was thinking of only calling when he hit the ground and gobbled. Next thing here is a very dark bird about 35 yards ahead of me on the ground. I saw a blue head and knew it was a hen. She was walking straight at me. Then she looked lefted and saw the two decoys 20 feet from her. She went basically ballistic cutting very hard while walking at them. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I swear she was giving them holly heck. When she got 5 feet from them she let out a cutting sequence of at least 40 cutts, never slowing down. Then</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I heard a high pitched yelp behind me to my left where Mat and I sat yesterday. Then a series of very low yelps. I was thinking jake yelping. This was going on when the other hen was cutting. The first hen was walking towards the second hen when I saw both. The first hen then I rralized had a good 6" beard. I had the gun on her really tempted, but&nbsp;Ijust could not pull the trigger. I thought if the boys wanted her fine, I want the tom.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">The two hens hooked up and disaapearred west down a lane. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I waited until 7:00 and yelped again and the tom answered me on the ground</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">right where he was stutting yesterday close to his roost.&nbsp;I kepp yelping and cutting on a friction call and he kept answering. The last two he was coming closer. I shut -up and waited. About twenty minutes later I saw a fan at 70 yards. Five minutes later I saw a big red and white head peak behind a tree at 50 yards.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I thought dead turkey. I waited ten minutes and saw a dark spot walking, a hen at 40 yards. Then another hen following, and another. When they spotted the decoys the got spooky and retreated across to my right. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Then I saw thetom's head,chest, and 6-7" of his beard walking fast at the hens. I had him in the scope hoping for him to stop. I cut hard on a mouth call. He fast stepped behind a fallen treetop and gobbled. I waited and waited. ThenI barely saw a fan behind the tree top. Five minute later I saw a fan 80 yards away, probably following the hens.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I gave up and walked out. Hd to go to work. No tag filled, but what a morning. Wish I had a digital recorder when all the hens were talking. I could be very rich by now. They were something to listen to. Proof to me somethimes you can never call to much. Always tommorrow. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Actually I am going to save that spot for this weekend for the boys and Val.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Just a great morning!</P>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts