Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjmaurer, Mar 2, 2016.

1. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

This thing is doing a number on birds that come to the feeder. Especially the doves.

I know we can't do it but sometimes I miss my pellet gun. Nature's cruel. MJ

2. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

Why free men and woman cannot protect nature's bounty is beyond me!

Very upsetting.

3. mslater

mslater Active Member

I had a big red tail hawk perched on a fence post in the backyard this morning. He made the squirrels a little nervous.

4. Boonelli14

Boonelli14 Fire/Medic

For the last two years I've had a rather large red tail perch up behind me in my stand and pick doves off my corn pile. Sitting on the edge of a orchard....he would smack them with unreal force about 5 feet off the ground. Scared the bejesus out of me every time but it was the coolest thing to watch. Probably around 5-6 times in the last two years

5. mslater

mslater Active Member

Sharp-shinned vs Cooper's hawk? I guess I've always thought was I was seeing working over the doves and pigeons around the grain bins were Cooper's. They sure look a lot alike.

6. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

You're right Mark. Here's how I tell the difference. The Sharp-Shinned Hawk have a real Square tail unlike the Coopers that is more rounded. The bars on the Sharp-Shinned tail are more pronounced too. MJ

7. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

They're just songbirds. It's not like it's eating your chickens or something. It's nature. Critters have to eat, and that means some get eaten.

8. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

We have Red Shouldered hawks that nest in the neighbor's yard. They tried to nest in our but there was too much activity so they moved next door. They really help keep our squirrel population in check.

d r

9. WorldBFreebase

WorldBFreebase Resident Antagonist

that hawk should be ticketed for hunting over bait