Ohio Waterfowler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I had a big red tail hawk perched on a fence post in the backyard this morning. He made the squirrels a little nervous.

·
Fire/Medic
121 Posts
For the last two years I've had a rather large red tail perch up behind me in my stand and pick doves off my corn pile. Sitting on the edge of a orchard....he would smack them with unreal force about 5 feet off the ground. Scared the bejesus out of me every time but it was the coolest thing to watch. Probably around 5-6 times in the last two years

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Sharp-shinned vs Cooper's hawk? I guess I've always thought was I was seeing working over the doves and pigeons around the grain bins were Cooper's. They sure look a lot alike.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right Mark. Here's how I tell the difference. The Sharp-Shinned Hawk have a real Square tail unlike the Coopers that is more rounded. The bars on the Sharp-Shinned tail are more pronounced too. MJ

·
Resident Antagonist
10,408 Posts
For the last two years I've had a rather large red tail perch up behind me in my stand and pick doves off my corn pile. Sitting on the edge of a orchard....he would smack them with unreal force about 5 feet off the ground. Scared the bejesus out of me every time but it was the coolest thing to watch. Probably around 5-6 times in the last two years
that hawk should be ticketed for hunting over bait

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.