"Shadows of the Mind" -#2

Discussion in 'Field & Outdoor Memories Photos' started by Dick, May 16, 2005.

1. Dick

Dick New Member

<DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"> <HR align=center width="100%" color=#3b491f noShade SIZE=1> </SPAN></DIV> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 12pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->The winter passed and for some reason the “Dark House†became lighter with every visit the Kid made there. The old man did not seem as strange as he seemed at first. The lessons went on into the spring; the spring was for repainting the decoys and getting all the gear up to par. The stories changed from fewer lessons to more tales of the hunts. The Kid learned and remained in awe of the stories. During the summer it was always the same routine; the old man would set days and times for the Kid to be standing in the garage door. As the summer started to wane the old man seemed to change. He would seem to listen more of what sounds there were around and his gaze would go skyward searching for something. When fall was upon the area the old man got the Kid once again in the garage and started to ask questions about what had been told to the Kid all spring and summer. The Kid answered the questions and as he did the old man would nod slightly and smile. As fall went on the old man would meet the Kid once again at the quarry and he would have the Kid set out blocks and choose a spot for the old man and himself to hide. Soon the ducks were in the skies and they were once again coming to the old man’s duck call. <BR><BR>That fall was about to become very special for the Kid. The old man instructed the Kid to be in the garage door one morning at a very early hour. It took the Kid all the begging he could muster up to convince his mother that it would be OK, because the old man was a good guy. The Kid’s mother gave in to the begging and the Kid showed up in the garage door at the hour instructed. The old man was already at the car with the boat and told the Kid to get into the car they were going to the marsh and hunt out of the boat. The Kid could not believe what he was hearing from the old man. He was going to go out and hunt the way the old man would sit and tell him about the hunts of the past. As they were driving to the marsh the old man told the Kid that this would not be any different than the hunting at the quarry except the boat would be the place where they both would be hidden. At the marsh the old man unloaded the boat placed it in the water and the decoys and gear were loaded. He put the Kid in the back of the boat and rowed out to a place where there was open water with cat tails at one end of the water. He instructed the Kid to place the decoys in the manner they had discussed and the boat was pushed into the cat tails. The same occurrences happened as had at the quarry and the ducks were there. As the morning went on the two shot three ducks and the old man told the Kid that this was enough for a meal and it was time to go. The Kid, disappointed, got to his appointed seat in the boat and the old man rowed out into the open water and they started to wind up the cords on the decoys and place them into the burlap bags. The old man rowed the boat back to the shore where the car was and loaded the boat on top and place some of the gear in the trunk and some in the back seat. Then he informed the Kid to take his pocket knife and take the entrails out of the ducks and throw them in the water then place the ducks in the trunk of the car. The Kid did as told and they left the marsh. Upon arriving back at the old man’s house the ducks were hung in the screened in porch to age. <BR><BR>This day would be repeated many times during the fall and early winter until the marsh was frozen over and the boat could not be put in the water. Yes, that was the first full duck season of many more to come. There are many more tales of the “Old Man†and they are all starting to become more precious to recall as the years have and will continue to pass!</SPAN></P>

2. Dick

Dick New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Yeah, it is an autobiography....</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Dick</P>

3. DUCDUCGoose

DUCDUCGoose New Member

<P>Great story Dick! Keep them coming. It reminds me of my early days listening to my dad and his hunting partner telling stories of their past duck hunts. Also brought back memories&nbsp;of the excitement I felt&nbsp;with my first duck hunt with my father. Sent chills down my spine!!! I felt like I was sitting in the boat with you.</P>