Ohio Waterfowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think is the best choke to use in a benilli sbe and also what type of shot do you use ?<br>

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">If you are shooting slow steel, Hevishot, or TM your factory chokes may perform perfectly well, although an extended aftermarket choke often&nbsp;performs better.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Even a Pattern Master or Wad Wizard will usually pattern slow shot well, sometimes very well, depending on the choke and load used.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">For fast (>1450 fps.) steel shot loads at ranges 35 yards and further, the .675" Terror has proven to be superior to the other chokes with most loads and in the guns I have seen patterned.&nbsp; In my Novas, it improved the patterns by 12% to 25%, depending on the&nbsp;shot size and load used over&nbsp;factory chokes and Briley extended chokes.&nbsp; And similar improvement is usually reported by others&nbsp;who try them.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">However, closer than 35 yards, the .675" Terror can be too tight. When using steel shot for shooting over decoys out to about 35 yards, often a&nbsp;extended light modified choke is a good choice in an SBE.&nbsp; </P>

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Here's a couple of pattern pics. of a 1 1/16 oz. handload of steel 2's at about 1600 fps. from a Nova at 40 yards.&nbsp; The first is with a .675" Terror choke.&nbsp; The second is from a Briley extended modified.&nbsp; This load patterns similar to the Kent 3" 1 1/8 oz. load.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Notice that the Terror choke pattern has picked quite a few pellets over that of from the Briley Modified, 20 pellets and 15%,&nbsp;yet it is no smaller than the Briley Mod pattern.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Even with the Terror, this particular load is best used no further than 35 yards as it is starting to&nbsp;get pretty thin at 40.</P>

·
Registered
85 Posts
<P>It all depends on the ammo you use and the choke that you use. This is a huge dilema for a lot of hunters. I also have a Bennelli Super Black Eagle .I use Kent fast steel 3.5 inch&nbsp;# 2 shot @ 1625 FPS, here I use a Carlson improved modified extended&nbsp;choke and have been hammering geese with it. For ducks I go to using Kent fast steel&nbsp; 3.5 inch #3 shot and put in my Benelli factory&nbsp;modified choke and spank the daylights out of the ducks. You have to use different chokes with different ammo and pattern at 40 yards to see which works best for you. You will go through some ammo and some chokes, but once you find the right combo, then you will become a waterfowl killin' machine. Remember, do whats best for you, not your buddy or what we say works for us. Your the one buying the chokes and ammo, but you also have to do whats best for your prey. Make every shot a clean quick kill. Good luck.</P>

·
Registered
225 Posts
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I shoot a Hastings I.M. choke and have never had a problem with Patterning.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">JMO!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">G.B.</P>

·
Registered
336 Posts
<P>I agree with KC. I shoot&nbsp;a sbe and prefer a factory mod tube. I also own a .675 terror tube. And I will make someone a good deal on it.</P>

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
<P>Brad:</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">If the .675" Terror does not perform with the loads you use to your satisfaction, you should list it for sale in the classifieds.&nbsp; I don't know how fast it would sell on OW since I have never seen one for sale here, but when&nbsp;a&nbsp;.675" Terror&nbsp;of a common choke type (Remington, Invector Plus, Beretta&nbsp;or Benelli)&nbsp;is listed for sale at a reasonable price on the Refuge classifieds prior to a hunting season it goes very quickly.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">However, when buying a used Terror, the buyer needs to ask the seller if it has rust or rust pitting&nbsp;on it or damaged in anyway&nbsp;before completing the purchase.&nbsp; Since it is chrome moly steel, it will rust if not cleaned and&nbsp;oiled properly.&nbsp; A choke can be dropped on the skirt and the skirt can be bent.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">One fellow&nbsp;on the Refuge, Skack, I believe,&nbsp;made the mistake of not asking about the condition of a Terror choke before he sent the money and got&nbsp;one which was badly rusted.&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

·
Registered
14 Posts
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I have to agree with tripleb about the Terror .675 being the best choke in the Italian guns for 35 yd - 50 yd shots. I couldn't believe the difference it made in both my sbe's . The .675 Terror was the first after market choke I bought for my sbe II. I also use them in my gold 10ga.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Tim</P>

·
Registered
336 Posts
<P>Wow 50 yard shots!! The ammunution makers must love you guys. Because I bet you do a lot of shooting at that range and not a lot of killing. (IMO) or maybe I need to&nbsp;practice more at longer yardage? Do you guys really kill ducks at 50 yards using steel?&nbsp;</P>

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">It can be done.&nbsp;&nbsp; Like any other skill, it can be learned with practice.&nbsp; Use big enough shot of suitable quantities from a choke which patterns dense enough.&nbsp; Steel 3's are not normally sufficient for dependable body kills&nbsp;and 2's are the absolute minimum, with 1's a better choice, as at 1600 fps.&nbsp;chronographed velocity, they will shoot completely through a mallard from breast to back at 40 yards.&nbsp; The patterns required are normally in the high 80% level at 40 yards, with noticible center density.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">A friend of mine went to England this past summer to shoot in an international sporting clays competition.&nbsp; He came back with accounts of having to make 60-80 yard shots in the competition.&nbsp; He did not do well as he had neither the skill, nor the equipment to be competitive on those kinds of shots.&nbsp; We just don't see many SC ranges here in the US set up those kinds of shots, except as a novelty event.&nbsp; But over there long range SC shots are&nbsp;common, as is long range pass shooting at waterfowl.&nbsp; They get good at it because they practice it.</P>

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I didn't save many pics. of 50 yard patterns, since most of my&nbsp;pattern shots were at&nbsp;40 yards, but here are a few I did save from a Nova, a .675" Terror fired at 50 yards.&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">The Terror Short Case BBB's were shot at 40 yards with a load modified from what I used in my Nova, but show the kind of center density required with steel shot loads at 40 yards to be usable to 50 yards.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Pic. of Terror short case BBB's is of the BBB load I use in my MP 153</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Pic. #97&nbsp;was my BBB goose load when I shot the Nova</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Pic. # 171 is of an Estate 3.5" load of #2's</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Pic. # 174 is of a Fed. 3.5" load of #2's</P>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts