Sad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toner07, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

2. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Not looking good. I hope things work out..

3. DMan

DMan Active Member

Sad and scary! Reminder that things cans go wrong....

4. Mariner220V

Mariner220V Active Member

IF only the dog could talk....

who remembers the outlaw boat tragedy 20 years ago

5. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

Saginaw Bay in 95 I believe. 3 adults and a young teen. The employees of outlaw boats all walked off the job the following day because they knew the boat was flawed. What ever happened with that?

6. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

7. Mariner220V

Believe outlaw went under cause of the placement of the fuel fill and getting water in the tank. i think the outlaw was no more then a carolina skiff hull with a big cockpit molded on it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2011/10/father_of_boys_who_took_dip_in.html

and it happend again in 2011 worthless hull desigh looks like a big fan boat hull

8. baldwin

baldwin Member

Wasn't there a drowning at mosquito a few yrs back, too? Stay safe.

9. duck rookie

duck rookie Well-Known Member

Several years back a guy was trying to break ice at Caesar Creek and went through. That was tragic enough but the only reason anyone knew he went under was because a passerby found his young son standing on the edge of road (busy highway). He took his son with him to break the ice.

d r

10. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

I recall a couple of duck hunters drowning at Pymatuning several years ago. We set up the following Saturday and found several decoys washed up into a cove. It was so eerie we just left them!

11. MikeBeatty

MikeBeatty FKA Boomn4x4

I hope the message gets through to some of you young un's (under 30), you aren't invincible. Don't feel bad, we've all done our share of stupid crap that could/should have gotten us killed, we are fortunate enough to be here still. Been there, done that... but I don't even put christmas lights up on the second story of my house anymore, just not worth it.

12. the_lone_wader

I've done some very risky and stupid things throughout my 20's. Now I don't even like hunting alone when the Temps drop below freezing.

13. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

At the top of my list was when I walked across symmes creek in Jackson county with a trapping basket on my back. Clear ice cracking the whole way and I kept right on going across. Talk about a rush. Ya, I was 23 or something years old invincible. Had to walk close to a mile downstream to a bridge to cross back to my truck. Lucky to be alive.

14. Mariner220V

I think you said it the best...All you guys from the south that buy a boat and think running on lake erie is easy cause you have the best equipment better sit down and look at your wife and kids cause when you roll the dice with mother erie you will lose. You'll lose your life, your wife will move on your kids will have a another dad and you'll be known as a dumb ass for dying for a duck. The smart ones are the ones who put the boat back on the trailer to fight another day, and that picture you gotta have will have to happen another day. We are being brainwashed that our equipment will take us to the moon and back but in fact our equipment makes our brain turn off judgement.

15. the_lone_wader

Why were you in my neck of the woods? There isn't too many feet of symmes creek that I haven't walked over the years.

16. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

I've kissed the ground a couple times after we got back. :) MJ

17. Green_Head

Green_Head Member

So just bust southerners? There are people all around that make mistakes and dumb decisions. Still no reason to single out people that live in Florida (south) and fish the ocean. Must not be a big enough body of water.

18. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

I was laid off one winter, so we stayed at my buddy's Dad's house in Oak Hill. We trapped a couple strip pits, Symmes and another small creek. Saw more turkey in one week down there than I had in a year up home. Love that country down there!

19. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

Where you're from has nothing to do with it. Look at 2 springs ago, guy who supposedly knew what he was doing, had his head up his ass and killed 3 people plus himself. Just don't ask your equipment to do more than it can. 2 days left and we'll be out there on both of them. Good luck to all and be safe.

20. heveshot

heveshot Member

The young ones are actually teachable, it's the old and stubborn fools that have the bad habits and end up being unsafe because " because they always did it that way". I've recall being both young and stupid, thought I was was older and and wiser, but still learn by my mistakes.
    Be careful out there.