Rookie call

Discussion in 'Calls: Duck, Goose, Turkey, Predator' started by gkicker13, Sep 30, 2005.

1. gkicker13

gkicker13 New Member

<P>What duck call would you recommend for someone with no calling experience, and just looking to put ducks on the table?&nbsp; </P>

2. ignantmike

ignantmike Member

<P>haydel's dr-85......about 12 buck's and real ducky</P>

3. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher New Member

<P>It doesn't matter if your new or old to this game, you need a call that is reliable and sounds like a duck. It also depends on how much money you wish to spend. You can spend some big bucks on calls that are absolute garbage. I have gone the distance and spent a small fortune on my calls. I use the Foiles timber rattler for soft calling and flooded timber, I also have the strait meat mallard for normal calling and the strait street for long range calling. I find I use the timber rattler most of the time and it is realitively inexpensive, I think you can pick one up for around $ 60 - 70. Or you can try some of the Primos calls, they are pretty good if your just starting out.</P>

4. Trainer

Trainer New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">You have many choices out there.&nbsp; Price, single reed, double reed, wood, plastic, acrylic &amp; etc.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">For hunting, I use a Flaherty Custom call which cannot be found anywhere except from the me or the young man that makes them.&nbsp; I do not expcept a commission for selling them for him, but personally think it is the best custom call out there for duck hunting.&nbsp; I judge contests and can tell you it is not good for contests unless it is a meat calling competition. You cannot get the high ends needed for calling judges, but just enough for calling ducks. &nbsp;Easiest call I have ever taught anyone to use.&nbsp; Very ducky, can be soft or loud.&nbsp; Truly custom made and beautiful &amp; durable.&nbsp; If interested in seeing them, check out my web site on the recomended products page.&nbsp; Good luck and enjoy the experience.&nbsp; God Bless........Jim</P>

5. 870kid

870kid New Member

dr85 all the way.....i've got one hanging next to $125 calls on my lanyard

6. gkicker13

gkicker13 New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">does the DR-85 come with tuning hole or not?&nbsp; And does it matter if the call has it or not? Thanks for all the&nbsp;input too.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

7. Timmy

Timmy Member

I would also say Haydels Dr -85, or HS Bill collecter. You may also want to find a call that comes with an instructional CD that will help you call. I bought a Buck Gardner Double Reed call, A 6 in 1 call and the instructional CD at the Crane Creek show last week for $ 6 for a friend. I also seen at Cabelas in Wheeling they are selling a similar combo Haydels DR- 85, A instructional tape and I think A goose call. Good&nbsp; Luck <br>

8. gkicker13

gkicker13 New Member

<P>Well thanks all for the information, got the dr-85, sounds pretty darn good for a 14 dollar call.&nbsp; I can allready get some decent sound out of it, so it can't be all that bad.&nbsp; I now just have to figure out the zinc power maximus polycarb, sounds horrible in my hands so far.&nbsp; Thanks again.</P>

9. CMFISH51

CMFISH51 New Member

I have a DR-85 next to some expensive calls on my lanyard, and it is the first call I grab for every time.&nbsp; Only bummer is that it locks up pretty fast when its wet, well for me at least...I keep a spair in my satchel...Very Good sounding call and very inexpensive!<br>