Purchase fraud

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by shootsa410, Aug 17, 2005.

1. shootsa410

shootsa410 New Member

I posted a corvette for sale and had a buyer and yep it's still for sale. I did receive a cashiers check (yes it was real) for $30,000.00, only problem it was issued from a invalid account. This guy wanted me to send the shipping agent $5500 out of this check before it cleared. I may be dumb but I'm not stupid. I contacted and am waiting to hear back from the US treasury, special agent. I really don't think he/they will get caught but I'll do what I can to assist. So if your selling anything of high dollar value and they want to pay for it with a cashiers check accept it but make sure your bank contacts the issuing bank to be sure it's valid and then wait for it to clear and the funds are posted to your account before turning over the merchandise. Please spread this information about these checks to hopefully prevent someone don't get screwed.

2. harryhunter

harryhunter New Member

<P>&nbsp;I have had the same thing with a litter of beagle pups. Said they lived in a different country said they would send check plus shipping money. Wanted me to cut check out of that for there shipping agent. ( dont think so)&nbsp; I have been sent the same letter on two different litters, I bought my chessie in PA and he said he received the same letter. Have to keep your gaurd up !!</P>

3. GOFISH

GOFISH Member

<P>I have read about similar scams on some racing sites I belong to. Remember the old rule of thumb if it sounds to good to be true....</P>

4. degger

degger New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">shootsa410 --</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">thanks for the heads up. I remembered your comments when somebody just tried to buy a car I have for sale on autotrader. They wanted to send me a certified check for more than the sale amount then have me forward money on, yada yada. It sounded fishy anyway, but your experience made it clear what the scam was.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks</P>