Private property wildlife management plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haswell02, Dec 26, 2015.

1. haswell02

haswell02 New Member

Wanting to get a plan for the farm and wanting to reach out and see if any of ya'll have used anyone one they would recommend. Not sure if Ohio has a biologist that can do this or not. Talked with local soil and water and they didn't know of anyone. Probably gonna look into a private company. Found a few just curious if anyone had any experience with this. Growing big bucks in mind

2. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

Oh I'm sure one of the many experts of the Internet will be happy to tell you how to manage your property. We have several here.

3. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

Start by calling your private lands biologist at your DNR district office.
    Just remember that if everyone around you doesn't follow the same plan, you can be doing everything in vain.
    I was starting the entire process about 9 years ago and decided to terminate all my plans and efforts. due to the fact that only one other property owner was in tune with what was going to happen and the fact that we have way to many damn Amish trespassing and killing anything that moves.

4. haswell02

haswell02 New Member

Yep totally agree Toner, worse neighbor has their ground leased to an outfitter. That's a lot of deer tags!!!

5. the_lone_wader

How many acres do you have?

6. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

It is a lot of tags but.....could you work with the outfitter towards the same goal? Something you might want to look at. Im guessing that you want to manage for mature deer, he might as well and if so, then those amounts of permits go down exponentially benefiting both you and him.
    Again, get with the private lands biologist and have him walk your place, tell him about your neighbors, and see what can get done. Good luck!

7. WCFB1

WCFB1 Active Member

I had lee Crockett from nwtf come out and make a detailed plan. He observed my strengths weaknesses and put together a plan. Good guy. It was all free. took about 3-4 hours of walking. In about 3-4 weeks I got his suggestions through email.

8. the_lone_wader

His name is Lee crocker, and he is a retired state biologist who works for the NWTF now.