Poured Cork decoy making?

Discussion in 'Decoys & Decoy Carving' started by Nags, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Nags

Nags New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">The 'fuge decoy forum had a similar thread that ran out of steam so I'll ask here.&nbsp; Do any of you guys know about mixing granulated cork with 2 part urethane to get the "poured cork" decoy?&nbsp; Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using this method as opposed to burlapping or using the mastic with gran. cork covering over the urethane?&nbsp; The other thread mentioned having to seal the cork with spar varnish? How much gran. cork do you use in the foam when you mix it?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks for your help</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Brian</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

2. Chappy

Chappy New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Brain,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I have never heard of this. Pouring cork? I know that when cork is made(glued) it has to be pressed together with very high pressure to get get a "block" out of it, but i have never heard of what you are talking about. Can you give me and others some more info on this? Maybe then we can all help ya figure it out.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Thanks</P>

3. johnch

johnch New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I&nbsp;tryed &nbsp;mixing powdered blue foam and 3 lb 2 part and casting some bodies.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">So far I have only done 1 this AM&nbsp;.&nbsp; ( I have not unmolded yeat) but I hope it works , the 2 part may eat the blue foam.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Johnch</P>

4. Nags

Nags New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I had seen some examples of "poured cork" decoys at one of the shows at either Crane Creek or Pt. Mouliee.&nbsp; they were asesome.&nbsp; The thread on the fuge talked of simply adding gran. cork to the 2 part foam when it was mixed and then pouring into the mold.&nbsp; I only know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be helpful.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Brian</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>