planner board help

Discussion in 'Lake Erie' started by Lucky13, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I was out for the first time fishing and trying to set up the "big john" planner board setup.&nbsp; Got everything set up okay, but kept having problems w/ the releases.&nbsp; It seemed as if anytime we got hit w/ a little choppy water the line would get pulled out of the releases, or while sending the releases out the line would pull out on occasion.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">For those of you that are using this kind of setup, what suggestions do you have for fixing this problem?</P>

2. DUCDUCGoose

DUCDUCGoose New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Jim,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">It could be one of two things. You can set the line deeper in the release. Experiment with what is working best for the conditions of the day. If the waves are kicking, set deeper. If calm set closer to the outside edge of the release. The only problem, if you set the line to deep, small fish won't pull the line out of the release. The other problem could be your trolling speed. If you are going to fast, the release will not hold. Try to keep your speed this time of year between 1.8 - 2.3 mph.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">By the way - I saw your boat at the same storage facility that I store mine for the summer.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Larry</P>

3. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">JOHN, I'LL SHOW YOU -SUNDAY -IF WE ARE STILL ON ?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">MARK</P>

4. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Jim,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Talked with the Capt. Today. The advice given is correct. You can set the line deeper or shallower in the clip. You can also use Rubberbands to wrap around the line then clip it in. Let me know about Sunday.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Dave</P>

5. GotOne

GotOne New Member

<P>&nbsp;We use rubberbands on our lines to clips. Any decent size fish will break the bands and send your line to the rear.You should have identical rods on each side of boat, when one is down slightly more than the other, your probably dragging something small.Just grabb rod and give a tug away(@90degrees) and it will release just fine..&nbsp; Good luck and be safe!!&nbsp; Steve,</P>

6. Runningdog

Runningdog Active Member

<P>Releases are nice for downriggers, get yourself some shower curtian clips the metal ones and some medium size rubberbands rapp the band around your line&nbsp; and hook it through the clip and clip it to your planner line watch how the rubber band stretches and when you got a little fish on the band will stretch more and a big fish will ussaully break it the set up is cheap but works.</P>

7. CMFISH51

CMFISH51 New Member

I concur with RunningDog - We have run the same setup for years, shower curtain rings and plastic clothespins, and have run this setup in 4-6 footers( Huron Hawg Fest last fall) with no problems...Like RD said, inexpensive, but very effective!!<br> <br> Corey Miller<br> Reel Naughty on 79<br> <br>

8. Duckdude

Duckdude AKA Yo Daddy

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">always used rubber bands on the charter in pinch pad releases. if you run a couple lines next to each other then any size fish will stretch the band a noticable about more than the other. they work real well. just give the rod a quick snap and the band breaks. ps if you get some time the chromers are going pretty good off lorain. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">chris</P>