Picture Perfect Hunt

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by jeffk, Apr 22, 2005.

1. jeffk

jeffk New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I set up this morning in the same spot as we did youth hunting. Was set up at 5:30. At 6:20 a gobble went off about 250 yards to my left, than another about 200 yards straight ahead down a creek. I waited about ten minutes then started to tree yelp. to my suprise a tom gobbled about 80 yards straight ahead on a high ridge right where he was last Saturday.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I called again and he answered. Then he shut up. I waited another 5 minutes while the other birds still gobbled. One had flown down and was in the woods to my left about 150 yards. I yelped on a glass call, nothing. I did it again and the close Tom gobbled straight ahead about 60 yards. I shifted right thinking he would come down the edge of the woods. I kept watching while the other tom gobbled back at me. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Next thing the close bird gobbled directly past my right shoulder 45 yards out in the freshly planted field. He was at 50 yards and when he went behind a large tree at the edge of the woods I shifted my gun to my left shoulder and waited. He was in the clear but headed slightly away. I cut hard on a mouth call and he gobbled. Then he turned and headed right at me.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I was between him and one hen decoy. He got to the edge of the woods,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">snuck a look around a tree, saw the decoy and headed to the next tree.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I could not see him so I shifted my right foot and rattled the leaves.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">He came around the tree, looked past me at the decoy and gobbled.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Next thing he got a load of 3 1/2" No. 5 Hevishot at 75 feet.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I had no idea how large or small. He was a jake with a 5 1/4 "beard , 15 pounds,with beard rot. First beard rot for me. Third one left -handed, I am right -handed, two in two years left-handed.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">At the sound of my gun they other bird to my left gobbled. I ran to my turkey flopping, put my foot on it, got out my box call and had the other answer. Then I got out quickly.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Not a real big bird, but a perfect morning hunt. I guessed where they were roosted, got lucky, and called right.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Time again for the two boys this weekend, and for me again, hopefully.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Good luck to everyone else this weekend braving the weather!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

2. Howman

Howman New Member

<P>Great Job Jeff..Friday was kind to both of us!! By looks of radar were you guys hunting in the rain?</P>

3. jeffk

jeffk New Member

<P>Yea, it started to sprinkle about 6:00. Was still sprinkling when I shot. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Now still raining.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Great job on your hunt!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">And&nbsp;I sure do like your saying at the end of your postings. The exact same way I want to live my life to the end. Totally beat up, exhausted, worn out but happy, doing everything I love with no regrets.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

4. Howman

Howman New Member

<P>Thanks Jeff. Didn't start raining over here until 11:30am. My hunt started with clear skies but the clouds rolled in thick and fast.</P>

5. CODB

CODB Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Its been pouring here and thunderstorms since daybreak where you guys at?</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

6. jeffk

jeffk New Member

<P>Northwest Ohio - Henry County Our main check station has only six birds on the list so far. Normally they only kill around 20 here each spring.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Steady rain since 9:00am. I want thunder tomorrow am. Between the calling and the thunder that is a real turkey seranade when they get fired up between the two.&nbsp; I just find a low spot (creek bottom-valley) and wait.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">It does get scary at times. Was out in it weds. when it came through.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">The turkeys I hunted today shock gobbled at the thunder at 5:40 Weds. morning. In a real thunder and lightening show that is something to hear with 3 -4 toms going at it.</P>

7. ToledoDean

ToledoDean New Member