New to the area

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by DanPratt, Sep 8, 2015.

1. DanPratt

DanPratt New Member

I am looking for some public hunting areas in the Lorain county area. I transfered her with my job a few years ago. My son has expressed an interest in hunting since he went out with his cousins in NJ. I hunted extensively in NJ but due to my job I have not been in a few years. I am looking for somewhere that is best for no boat or dog as I sold the boat prior to moving and did not have a good idea where to hunt in OH. I would be up for partnering with someone to learn the lay of the land. I do have my full camo and hunt with a mossberg 835 ulti mag. I am fairly rusty with calling so someone with a bit of experience on that would be nice as well until I get back up to speed. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

2. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

Dan, this area is a "youth only" area where kids may hunt with a licensed adult. Some deer opportunities, as well as stocked pheasants during the youth and regular seasons. Would give you a chance to get the kid out at least.
    http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/campbelden#tabr4

3. DanPratt

DanPratt New Member

Thanks. May look into that but I should have been more specific. Is there anything within a 2 to 3 hr drive or overnight camp site to hunt in the morning that is not youth only?

4. Chocdawg

Chocdawg New Member

You may consider Salt Fork State Park. Refer to the ODNR page. I believe they have year round camping, but you'll have to check.

5. jason

jason Sponsor Sponsor

ODNR website gives an overview of all public land in Ohio

6. ROSEBUD

ROSEBUD Member Lifetime Supporter

you can drive to just about any hunting area in Ohio in about 2 to 3 hrs, so you have a pretty good list to choose from on the ODNR website under Maps

7. Pitty

Pitty New Member

Hello guys! I would like to try waterfowl hunting, as I wish to try something new. Can anyone advise the best public place for such experience?

8. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

Tommy has a brother