New sport-Catch and Release duck hunting!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaktheQwk, Oct 21, 2015.

1. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

So I had the son to Ottawa for the opener in the LEMZ. He got drawn for an under 18 youth hunt. We're set up with about 20 minutes til shooting time. 7:17 comes and a few birds are starting to move. A pair of green wings come in perfectly and he stands and shoots. One bird down, and his golden Molly is out earning her kibbles. She brings the "dead" bird to me, where I tell her she better take it to her master. After several minutes my son says, "Dad, can you wring its' neck?" He will do a full twirl on pheasants at the club, but for whatever reason he's still squeamish about ducks. So I stand up and he stands up and attempts to toss the teal in my direction. She's gone! This bird hit the air and never looked back! Out over the zone and out over the trees she went! :shocked: We both just looked at each other and laughed at her amazing recovery! She flew off as if nothing ever happened to her. Oh, well, we had that to talk about the rest of a rather slow opener. He did dump a mallard later in the morning.

2. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

Better get that kid some Black Cloud!

Same thing happened to me with a Can on the Bay about 25-30 yearas ago. MJ

3. flash020586

flash020586 Member

Had dove do that while doing the final count

4. pjf

pjf Anti Media Pro Staffer

That story will last forever with you and your son. Great memories make it worthwhile.

5. nelliboy2

nelliboy2 Active Member

You guys didn't try to shoot at it again?

6. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

7. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

I had that happen with a mallard on the river. I shot it and it dropped like a rock. It landed in a tree with grape vines growing on the limbs. It was about 15 feet up in the air. I got a stick and tried to knock it off the vines. When it finely fell, about half way down it flipped around and took off like a BOH down the river. Darndest thing I ever saw.

8. bluepike

bluepike New Member

We were there as well. Was a great day. Wind wasn't right for the blind but we did get some shooting. The big highlights for the boy were walking through the marsh with his waders and eating snacks!:) All in all was one of the best days hunting I have had as it was a special day with my son![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Runningdog

Runningdog Active Member

There's days where a hard mouth retriever pays off....:p

10. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

You would know Tim, owning one of them bone snapping shorthairs!!!:eek:
    The thing of it was when the dog first brought it to me, its' neck was fully extended and the head was swiveling like it was on ball bearings. I'm thinking a pellet glanced off her noggin just right without penetrating (W x V=F), perhaps temporarily "concussing" the bird. After several minutes, she regained consciousness? Who really knows.

11. FEATHERDUSTER

FEATHERDUSTER Well-Known Member

Maybe you are getting to old Mike,you would be better off letting John handel things. :spot: Just do what he tells you to do!!!!!!

12. mjmaurer

mjmaurer Active Member

Great Pics BluePike. Woody looks prime! Is that shotgun a Galef folding companion? MJ

13. bluepike

bluepike New Member

Thanks. Not a Galef. It is a Russian gun. Not even sure if what kind. Stock is shortened and has a safety at the trigger. Better than than the 20 gauge Winchester youth model I used . This one is heavier, no hammer to pullback and shorter. He is eight but doing pretty well with it. It is a friend's gun. He let me boy use it.