new poults

Discussion in 'Ohio Gobbler Hunting' started by jeffk, Jul 15, 2005.

1. jeffk

jeffk New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I was going down a township road yesterday morning. Saw a hen real close</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">in the weeds. Turned the truck around and went back. Well there was two grown hens with 6 - 7 total little ones together. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">They finally got out of the road ditch and headed back along the edge of the woods. The poults were about a foot high or a little taller.</P>

2. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P>My buddy called me yesterday and said he had 4 hens with 12+ poults with them behind his house.</P>

3. johnch

johnch New Member

<P>I was was working my lab wen. evening&nbsp; in the CPR feild.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I had planted bumpers for him to find.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">We were not even close when he went birdy .</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I saw a hen and at least 1 poult.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Not wanting to chance him fetching a poult , I ordered him to stay and I fetched the bumpers.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Johnch</P>

4. adm

adm Member

Article in todays Columbus Dispatch about the above average Turkey hatch this year. <br> They expect the fall population to be 170,000 to 200,000 birds. Last falls estimate was 150,000 to 170,000. Second year in a row of above average production after several years of poor success due to the cold wet springs.<br> Good news indeed. I hope the wild Pheasants are doing as well.<br> <br>

5. DLC

DLC Member

<P>I saw my first poults ever yesterday while checking my trail camera. Couldn't get a real good look at them as they were in the weeds. It looked like 2 big hens, 1 med size poult ( slightly smaller than the hens) and at least 3 little ones, maybe the size of a small mallard. Seemed pretty small to me for this time of year, but like I said I've never seen any in the wild before. Pretty cool to see that's for sure.</P>

6. adm

adm Member

Saw 2 hens with&nbsp; 8 polts between them while scouting Sat. morning. Poults were pretty good size but you could still see quite a difference. Watched them for 15 min.or so.&nbsp; First time I ever saw hens with younguns around&nbsp; here.&nbsp; <br> Took it as a sign of good hatch. <br> <br>