new call

Discussion in 'Calls: Duck, Goose, Turkey, Predator' started by big_fish, Aug 21, 2005.

1. big_fish

big_fish New Member

<P>I am new to waterfowl hunting and I went to walmart and bought a new call it's a buck gardner tall timber call single reed and it came with a 6in1 whistle call any ways the question I had is are these calls any good and does a wood duck whistle or what do they do&nbsp; thanks for the info</P>

2. Dynze

Dynze New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Big_Fish,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">The single reed timber is a serviceable starter call.&nbsp; The 6-1 whistle is a must have, whether it is buck Gardner or other brand (the one I use is an older Buck Gardner/r-n-t).&nbsp; This call is used to make the drake mallard sound which is deadly on call shy ducks.&nbsp; If your lucky enough to see sprig it is an easy and effective call for them.&nbsp; Occasionally I use it for green wing teal and wigeon.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">A wood duck makes more of a squealing sound which the whistle does not make.&nbsp; You will need to get a wood duck call if you want to try calling to them.&nbsp; I have a Primos wood duck call and can proficiently make the wood duck sounds, but based on my experience woodies&nbsp;typically don't&nbsp;react to them (like a mallard would to mallard calling).&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Aaron</P>

3. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Aaron is right. Woody's don't usually respond as well. You will often hear wood ducks calling at first light. They make a Coo WEE sound.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

4. big_fish

big_fish New Member

<P>so whats the best way to hunt wood ducks</P>

5. Chappy

Chappy New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I on the other hand have had a great response calling wood ducks.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I use a Scotch Wood Duck call, and mixed if about 4 woodie with my mallards.</P>

6. Trainer

Trainer New Member

<P>Most hunters use the wood duck call making the sound of a hen woody in flight or getting ready to fly.&nbsp; The resting woody call you hear at first light of the hen sitting works great.&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim</P>

7. Mightyduck

Mightyduck Member

I have a 9.00$ wood duck call that does pretty good, all wood not sure who made it. It's a very high pitch ohh wee....don't use it much except when I see a flock of woodies...Sorry I don't know who makes it. <br>