Nesting Success

Discussion in 'Goose Hunter Forum' started by Bshive, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Bshive

Bshive Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I went down to pay a friend a visit last night on the Ohio River.&nbsp; She lives on a House Boat year round on about 10 acres.&nbsp; I usually do a little duck hunting down there during the season.&nbsp; We started talking and I asked if she had seen a lot of ducklings yet.&nbsp; She said a few, but they don't last long with the turtles and fish.&nbsp; She said that she has seen more canada goslings this year than in the past 5-10 years.&nbsp; She said that every few days, you will see a family of newborn canadas come out of the woods.&nbsp; She has seen up to 12 different family groups already this year just on her 10 acres of riverfront property.&nbsp; The water level has been at pool stage for at least the past 3-4 weeks and I think that a lot of the nests that usually get flooded from spring rains have survived this year from the dry conditions.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Just a thought, but it might be a great early season here in the SW.</P>

2. HonkerBonker

HonkerBonker New Member

My unscientific study of NE Ohio would say that we have had the biggest hatch that I have ever seen up here.&nbsp; Nearly every local pond, lake and reservoir is stuffed with newbies from nearly grown to small yellow fuzz balls.&nbsp; One local pond had two groups of Canadas with 15 young between them and a hen mallard with a brood of 11.&nbsp; I just hope that the crops come off early this fall.&nbsp; Early goose should be a blast.<br>