My Trip to The Delta Marsh in Manitoba

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CuptNCommitted37, May 27, 2016.

1. I had the opportunity last week to travel up to the South end of Lake Manitoba to the Delta Marsh. For those of you who don't know, this was essentially the birthplace of waterfowl conservation. The old York Lodge up there is still owned by the Bell family. James Ford Bell founded General Mills and is the founding father of Delta Waterfowl Foundation. We also visited the Delta Waterfowl Research Station in Minnedosa, MB and got to see students working on graduate waterfowl research. We had the chance to get hands on with a mallard and canvasback nest. The canvasback nest had redhead eggs in it. Redheads are parasitic nesters and will lay their eggs in Canvasback nests. It's not uncommon to find redhead young in a brood of Cans. Anyhow, enough rambling. It was a great trip and I figured I'd share some of the pictures.:duckduck:

Attached Files:

2. More Pics

more pics from the Canada trip.

Attached Files:

3. mslater

mslater Active Member

4. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

5. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

6. EaglePoint

EaglePoint 1 more pass? No Way!

I love delta waterfowl's approach to conservation. Control predators through trapping before and during nesting season, install tons of hen house throughout the duck factory (PPR & Boreal) Now Delta is taking that approach into the Great Lakes region. The ALUS is another cool Delta original. http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/what-we-do/alus.html