Mounting scope on Remington 870

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by remington77, Sep 18, 2005.

1. remington77

remington77 Remington77

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;I want to mount a scope on the receiver&nbsp;of my remington 870 slug gun . I have tried the "saddle mounts" and the cantilever mounts. I would like to have the receiver drilled/tapped to take a Weaver type rail scope base. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Does anyone&nbsp;&nbsp;know of a gunsmith that would do this.</P>

2. jeffk

jeffk New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Just asking, what is wrong with a "B" Square scope mount. We have four rigged this way for deer and turkeys. All the same guns and never had a problem. Seen deer shot from 38 feet to 130-136 yards(2 at 130-136)&nbsp;without a problem. It was the best solution for us, but your gun may be differant. Ours have been on and off for four years with 3 1/2 " turkey shells and 3" slugs without a problem.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I have a 32 year old 870 drilled and tapped, lefted the scope rail on the barrel&nbsp; because there are holes to the chamber. Learned to shoot it with the rail on the chamber with shotshells. No big deal but I like the "B" Square</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">mount better and no gunsmith. </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Hope this helps some.</P>

3. remington77

remington77 Remington77

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Jeff,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">thanks for the reply. My 870 isn't any different then any of the rest. I just always worry that the saddle mount screws will come loose and the scope will be off. As for the cantilever mount, it just bugs me to see that thing just hanging there in air without any support on the end. I can just see me banging it up against a tree while pulling it up in a tree stand.&nbsp;Both are&nbsp;good mounts. But,I&nbsp;would like to have the receiver drilled and tapped.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I see in the Remington catalog that they mounted a weaver rail on the receiver of an 870 turkey gun. Maybe next year they will do the same for the deer guns</P>

4. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher New Member

<P>B square mount is the way to go, they won't come lose and it actually quite sturdy. I have used a cantilever barrel mount on my 870 and have had absolutely no problems. My 870 is 24 years old and still banging with the best of em. Never a single problem. </P>

5. py_archer

py_archer New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">&nbsp;"I just always worry that the saddle mount screws will come loose and the scope will be off. "</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><FONT face=Arial>Same here. I went to the hardware store and bought longer bolts and stop nuts for my 1187sp. Tighten them down till the action binds when pumped, then back them out till it free's back up and then some.&nbsp;Hacksaw and file the bolt so nothing sticks out from the stop nut to catch on clothing, etc. I painted the end of the bolt and the&nbsp;stop nut black.&nbsp;Looks kinda funky but rock solid.</FONT></P>

6. Michael_Hougan

Michael_Hougan New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I have found that the saddle type scope mounts have one flaw, the scope is not attached to the barrel.&nbsp; Shotguns in general have some movement between the reciever and the barrel.&nbsp; Not that the saddle won't work, I just have found that they are not as reliable as other alternative.&nbsp; B-Square has a universal cantilever mount that attaches to the rib of your shot gun. It has been very reliable attached to my shotguns and elimiates the problem above.&nbsp; This cantilever mount does not stick up or float over the barrel. it is firmly and completely attached to the ribbing.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">here is a link that discusses this problem and solutions;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><A href="http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/dec97gggupgrade.html" target=_blank>http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/dec97gggupgrade.html</A></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">hope this helps.&nbsp; Also, These mounts are available on Ebay or just Google B square cantilever mounts.</P>

7. tobi24

tobi24 Member

REMINGTON77<br> <br> YOU HAVE A PM<br> <br>