Mosquito creek

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by casey_1214, Sep 24, 2020.

1. casey_1214

casey_1214 New Member

I have a mosquito creek unit k hunt this year in December. I’ve never been to the area and it’s a long drive. Can anybody give me a little info on the area, mainly what to expect as far as a marsh or dry field so I know what gear to bring? Thanks!

2. December it may be frozen ,, it’s a small 1-2 man unit . It’s a long walk from the parking lot . Lots of buck brush and cover in there.. if the water isn’t frozen and there’s new ducks in the area you could kill some mallards or gadwall in there but it’s 50/50.

3. casey_1214

casey_1214 New Member

Thanks duckman. I noticed the area looked awfully far from the parking lots but I could use the exercise lol. Any day hunting is better than a good day at work so dead birds are always just a bonus. Is the water pretty shallow? Just so I’ll have an idea of if it will be open or not depending on what the weather is doing.

4. That’s true I agree! There’s small pockets of like waist deep and higher but nothing higher than waders.. it’s More of a perfect woodduck and teal hole , like I said lots of buck brush and beaver huts but you can kill big late season ducks in there if it hasn’t been hunted hard and not frozen . IMO if you are driving longer than an hour I would call first to the office about water and ice . If you are local I’d go if you have no other option . If you have to travel I’d call and talk to them .

5. jjm

jjm Active Member

Bring a dog

6. VAhunter

VAhunter New Member

I'm in Unit N in November... cautiously optimistic.

7. Unit n is a good unit that time of year in the little patch of flooded timber if there are ducks!

8. VAhunter

VAhunter New Member

Best to wade in the timber and put dog on a stand?

jjm likes this.
  9. Yea if you have your map you can see where the timber is. I hunted it last year. I don’t know what the water level is like this year tho with it being closed to public completely

10. VAhunter

VAhunter New Member

Ok, thanks for the info. Appreciate ya