Ohio Waterfowler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be there for a youth hunt on 11/01.

#1- Do they assign you a zone the morning of? Or do you get to pick? If so, are there any zones to avoid, and or lean towards......

#2- From what I've read, it definitely helps to move, and not sit all day. Is this the consensus??

#3- Any other tips?? This will be my 10 year old son's very first deer hunt, and I's like to put the odds in his favor to get a deer.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I will be there for a youth hunt on 11/01.

#1- Do they assign you a zone the morning of? Or do you get to pick? If so, are there any zones to avoid, and or lean towards......

You are assigned a zone but can switch at lunchtime if you want. Listen to the area manager. He will tell you where to set up, he knows the place like the back of his hand.

#2- From what I've read, it definitely helps to move, and not sit all day. Is this the consensus??

Someone needs to be moving but if it's his first deer hunt stay put. Others will move enough for you.

#3- Any other tips?? This will be my 10 year old son's very first deer hunt, and I's like to put the odds in his favor to get a deer.
This can be a great hunt but right now it's very thick and will be until the leaves drop from the scrub trees. I've hunted it three times with my girls and twice by myself. I've seen as few as 3 deer and as many as 47.

Like I said, listen to the manager. He will tell you where the deer will move through. There are plenty of trails to sit on and patience will be key. When we hunted it two weeks ago there were 28 no shows plus the weather was bi-polar with snow/rain/sun and the wind was pretty wicked.

d r

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured I'd pick their brains at the headquarters before we set out. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. He's so excited he can barely sleep. I'm not far behind! Hope he gets an opportunity.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Try to find pinch points/funnels between the fields and marsh(if there is one in your unit)when they show you the topo map. Seems like they like to skirt the field edges just inside the woodline. If you can find a well worn deer trail the bucks will probably be lookin for a hot doe. We had B19, and did just that and we had my step daughter's first deer by 8:30.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts