Licensing no-serial/VIN boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, and Motors' started by jdstoledo, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jdstoledo

jdstoledo New Member

I was given a 12' Aluminum Jon boat from a buddy and there's no current registration, no title, and no serial number anywhere on the boat.&nbsp; Anyone know how I can license this thing in Ohio?&nbsp; I would appreciate any help.&nbsp; Thanks<br> <br>

2. sbe023

sbe023 New Member

<P>are the oh #.s legible, if so take them to the registrar.then you canjust go from there. </P>

3. FOWLTALK

FOWLTALK New Member

<P>Try your BMV license department where you get your plates for your truck. They normally do boats. If memory serves correct, you don't need a title for a boat&nbsp;under 14'. Does the boat already have OH numbers ? If not, just register the boat in your name, get your OH number &amp; tag. Have your buddy write you&nbsp;a bill of sale&nbsp;with a date &amp; description of the transaction.</P>

4. jdstoledo

jdstoledo New Member

Wow!&nbsp; You guys are quick!&nbsp; Looks like I'll be heading to the DMV.&nbsp; Thanks!&nbsp; <br>

5. BigChessie

BigChessie New Member

<P>I just did a boat that was given to me, it did not have any numbers on it and only a partial OH number. Go to the DNR website, look under boating. Just call them and tell them u need to have a boat inspected. You set up a appt and they go over the boat, takes all of 20 mins and u get all your stickers and everything. Not a big deal, if your close to central Ohio I can give you the name and number of the Officer that did mine.</P>

6. Wolfbangduck

Wolfbangduck Member

<P>Picked up a older boat this year 55 lonestar,and had to have the vin # redone due to age of boat,back then only a few # now needed is a 12-14 digit # I was told due to 911 that all boat's with these low # have to be re-registered,due to this fact,It was a little problem,contact,div of watercraft,with info,then they will send you a set of new #,one on the stern and one in a hidden place, then take that information to DMV,and issue a title and reg's. that's what I had to do, for that boat. I think in is pre 1972 or 75 good luck!</P>

7. BFG

BFG Well-Known Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">The issue that I had was not so much having to get an inspection done.....but the place and time of the inspection was difficult.&nbsp; Maumee Bay was the place....and the time was during the day.....(needed to take off work to do it).&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Wasn't as easy for me as for others it seems....</P>

8. FOWLTALK

FOWLTALK New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Size matters.....you know, just what the old ladies keep talkin' about.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Seeing that it is a 12' boat, jon i presume, it is considered a row boat</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&amp; has lesser constraints compared to a boat over 14' with a motor. I'm</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">curious to find out how this fella made out at the BMV.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

9. IMissed

IMissed Member

BigChessie is correct, you will need to have a watercraft officer physically look at the boat &amp; issue you a HIN #, then you can go register it etc etc in the normal fashion, been there//did that. <br> Believe it or not, it's a homeland security issue, the watercraft officer who inspected mine about 3 yrs ago said there was thousands of boats like this in Ohio alone!<br>

10. FOWLTALK

FOWLTALK New Member

<P>yeah, but what size was your boat?</P>

11. Kyle_H

Kyle_H New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I have a 13.5 foot boat that is going through the same thing.&nbsp; It was given to me but I did not have a title or anything.&nbsp; Monday I have to take it there for them to clarify that there is no numbers and the boats length.&nbsp; Other than that you should be ready to go.&nbsp; They will assign you numbers and everything like that.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P>

12. Musky

Musky New Member

<P>Guys, </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I was in the same situation.&nbsp; Dad gave me a 12' Jon boat no numbers, no serial number, no nothing.&nbsp; Took it down to E.49th in Cleveland to the Ohio Watercraft Division guys yesterday.&nbsp; Officer inspected, &nbsp;asked some questions, &nbsp;and I had my tag within 20 minutes.&nbsp; Very painless!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Musky</P>