Let's get growing!

Discussion in 'Gardening/Canning/Food Preservation' started by MaktheQwk, Apr 19, 2016.

1. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

I know it's early, but I have taken advantage of this extended dry spell and have the garden all tilled up and fabric mulch down. I'm ready to plant, but waaay early. I remember sitting out a snow storm like the second weekend of turkey last year, hunkered down with the son in our pop-up ground blind. I have put in broccoli and cauliflower plants, as well as several rows of varietal lettuce. Planning on planting my tater towers this week before the rain they're calling for on Thursday. I may attempt some tomatoes as early as May 15 this year, but they can be so temperamental in the cold. Does anyone think this is rushing things to soon? We have to do what we have to do to enjoy our 90-100 days of nice weather in the Buckeye state!

2. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

Just put in 150 asparagus crowns today, pepper and tomato plants are all under the grow lights and about 3 inches tall.....everything is right on schedule as long as Mother Nature doesnt throw us a curve. I never put tomatoes in until Memorial Day weekend, chance for frost is still there for me.

3. MaktheQwk

I have several spears of asparagus already popping up. They're only up about an inch or two, but popping out none the less!

4. CaptMark

CaptMark Retired Ohio Waterfowler Staff Member Moderator

Onions and Garlic doing great. Some parsley came back had to plant a few more also put in Rosemary that did not make it.

5. Fitfarms

Fitfarms Member

Corn potatoes beets celery root onions leeks all went in ground in the last 3 days. Cabbage broccoli kolahrabi lettuce to follow in the next few days. It's go time for the early stuff. Should be cutting 3 acres of asparagus by next week

6. Toner07

Toner07 Well-Known Member

Onions and garlic look great here too along with spinach and peas. Parsley, thyme,and rosemary came back for me as well, I covered it with lots of leaves.

7. MaktheQwk

We still on occasion turkey and deer hunt down in Morgan County. A friend of ours has a naturalized asparagus patch as you pull in down the lane leading to his house. Many times we've picked fresh asparagus right out of the ground to go with morels and some nice rib eyes. A glass of cabernet, and your living high off the hog! Talk about natures bounty! A spring time treat that we as hunters and fishermen can really appreciate.

8. MaktheQwk

Adam, just curious, do you mechanically cut that A-sper-A-gus, or is it all hand cut? I have had the best yield to date with my little asparagus patch, hand cutting spears every couple of days. How long will it continue to throw new spears before it peters out? Is it weather or temperature related? I see that as long as I take a couple spears off of a crown, it wants to throw up a couple of new spears. And yes, we all have the tell tale asparagus pee in our household! :eek:

9. Fitfarms

Fitfarms Member

It's all hand cut. As long as the weather cooperates we should be able to cut for 4-6 weeks. That's cutting every other day between 100-300 lbs per cutting.

10. BLKDOGS

BLKDOGS Active Member

Onions are in for 1 1/2 weeks now looks good. Strawberries growing but seem slow. Planted last fall 1st year to grow them>