Leave It!!!!

Discussion in 'Diver Hunter Forum' started by Riverdawg, May 9, 2005.

1. Riverdawg

Riverdawg New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Has anyone ever had to leave their rig or ditch their boat somewhere due to the severe weather conditions?&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Two years ago my partners had to leave our boat about 2 miles from the dock because we could not get back under the railroad track due to the NW wind pushing the water out of the(Sandusky) bay.&nbsp; It was very stupid for us to keep hunting instead of tearing down our rig and getting the hell out of Dodge when things started to get hairy.&nbsp; How bout you guys?&nbsp; Anyone that is a serious fowler has a scary close call to remember and share so others can learn from.</P>

2. quillbilly

quillbilly New Member

I wadded across the Tusc. river to hunt an island one time when I first started duck hunting. The river rose really fast (must have opened the dam up river) and I&nbsp;almost didn't make it back across. Ended up about 100 yards down river from where I entered. My dog was about 5 times that far before she made it out. Really dumb move on my part.&nbsp;

3. Riverdawg

Riverdawg New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Stop with your stories your giving me the <FONT color=#0033ff>chills</FONT>.&nbsp; Seriously, one good scare and it changes your perspective on how you look at storm fronts and safety concerns as a duck hunter.&nbsp;&nbsp; </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Stan, the next boat I buy will be a Deep V, for sure!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Quilbilly, where do you hunt on the tusk?&nbsp; We'll have to hook up some time.</P>

4. Goosebuster

Goosebuster New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">I know Chukar "Chuck H" had to ditch his boat this past summer. The winds switched in an instant....... Have to keep a good head, and watch.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">G.B.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I once ditched a canoe on the mohican river. Big laydown and now where to go. Saved the beer.</P>

5. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Not Yo daddy

<P>Came real close last year on St. Claire.&nbsp; We were hunting the NW side of the lake (Anchor Bay)&nbsp; The winds were perfect, light out of the north.&nbsp; In a matter of 15 minutes she turned east at 20 kts.&nbsp; We recognized the switch right away and started picking up.&nbsp; We had a large spread out, all single wrapped blocks.&nbsp; It took us about an hour to pick up.&nbsp; I have a 1860 G3, semi v.&nbsp; By the time the last of the dekes were picked up and the layout was back on the bow we were in 3 footers.&nbsp;&nbsp;We made it back to the ramp without getting swamped.&nbsp; Once on dry ground, my buddie tells me he was half tempted to leave everything in the water and make the run back.&nbsp; It got hairy out there and a few decoys aren't worth your life.</P>

6. H2OFOWL

H2OFOWL Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Riverdawg, </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">I know where you launched at in the Bay. It almost happened to us two years ago but we were able to pull the 22 foot Xpress over the sandbar. Another boat wasn't that lucky. One of them walked to the marina and drove the truck and trailer&nbsp;to Sandusky where they pulled the rig out.</P>

7. quillbilly

quillbilly New Member

<P>Riverdog, I sent you a PM, if it doesn't get to you send me an e-ma</P>

8. JeffM004

JeffM004 New Member

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 13.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Yep I had to abandon some decoys on Brookville years ago.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Cut a jammed long line and ran.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I left behind three decoys I made myself but I had swamped the boat twice trying to get them and figured three was really pushing it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I went and bought an 18’ Lund v-hull the next year.</SPAN></P> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px"><SPAN style="COLOR: black"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></P> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px"><SPAN style="COLOR: black"></SPAN>&nbsp;</P> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px"><SPAN style="COLOR: black"></SPAN>Jeff</P> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px">Oh, no- I did not tell my wife.</P>