Leader questions

Discussion in 'Lake Erie' started by Lucky13, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 Member

<P>For trolling on Lake Erie, what Lb. line do you use and what lengths?</P>

2. sbe023

sbe023 New Member

<P>seaguar flourocarbon is the best . if your shooting for steelhead use 20# and don't forget the rubber snubbers. don't make them any longer than your trolling rods.</P>

3. Duckdude

Duckdude AKA Yo Daddy

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">i like to use 20 lb seaguar flourocarbon. diameter is not really a factor when using flourocarbon as it is invisible underwater. 20 is overkill for eyes but i with all the wear and tear that leaders take throughout a couple trips it saves you a lot of money in the long run. as for length we experimented with length and catch relationships on the charter and found that length had no effect on catch rate. that was based on over 500 fish that we recorded the results from. &nbsp;i would say length depends on your rig. shorter leaders are nice if you don't have much room to back up in your boat. i definitly agree with the snubbers with steelhead. not only do you not break off as much i found that you lose less fish with the extra give. i don't like them for eyes because you tend to drag a lot of junk fish. another trick for the bullets is to put a large trebel on the stinger scorpions. those small hooks don't hold steelhead very well because the fish tend to rip a hole in their mouth and out slips the hook. the bigger hooks don't effect the action of the spoon but definitly hold fish better. by the way the eyes are getting fired up finally. got some good reports yesterday. trying for weds. hopefully the storms will stay away.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">chris</P>

4. TURKTAKER

TURKTAKER New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">went to vanish 17lb this year,affordable and tough.started going to 7' on my </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">length,a real b-otch to net,but having very good success with it.Had a steelie bang on one,jump 10 times and scream the drag and still using that leader.My 2 cents</P>

5. DUCDUCGoose

DUCDUCGoose New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Jim,</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">Are you asking about length behind dipsies,&nbsp;line out to jets&nbsp;or flat line trolling?&nbsp;If you are asking about jets. I run minimum 100' from rod tip to jet with a 5' leader to the spoon or crank bait. Leader is 30 lb&nbsp;spider wire with a good ball bearing swivel. If flat line trolling crank baits off boards, I run 10 lb stren. Inside board at 75' middle board at 100' and outside board at 125'. On my dipsies I run a 5' leader of 30 lb spider wire, same as the jets. The&nbsp;rod has 20 lb stren. Length out is determined by the depth the active fish are at. Lure Jensen has a chart on the back of the packaging for length out to reach the desired depth on each setting. I laminated one and keep it handy in the boat. If I am fishing for steelhead, I make sure to have a 6" snubber attached to the dipsies. Hope this helps!</P>