jumpy lab

Discussion in 'Sporting Dog Training' started by DRAKE835, May 21, 2005.

1. DRAKE835

DRAKE835 New Member

hey guys i have a 13 week old yellow lab (female)
    she listens very well but recently she started jumping on everybody and she will run after you as you walk and jump on your back i have tried to say no over and over and this is the one thing she will not obey at all
    what can i do to get her to stop jumping
    help

thanks

2. Trainer

Trainer New Member

<P>Have you leash broke her and taught her to sit stay &amp; heel?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, keep a lead on her so you can immediately make the correction without vocally giving the command no.&nbsp; When she does well with that, take the lead off and create urgency when giving the correction.&nbsp; By urgency I mean to supervise her so you know when she is going to do the jumping and react quickly to that behavior.&nbsp; All the yelling no,will just become&nbsp; related to the pattern she has developed.&nbsp; The key is to supervise.&nbsp; When she goes to jump, move quickly to her, put her down and immediately take your hands off her so she does not think you are playing.&nbsp; She will remember the quick response (urgency) more than the no command.&nbsp; When she goes to jump, she will immediately remember the response it generated.&nbsp; The idea is to illiminate the behavior, not to stop it with a command.&nbsp; This has become a pattern which also includes yelling no!&nbsp; After so many times, a dog actually thinks it is OK and the no command is actually part of the pattern.&nbsp; Each dogs personality is different, so the urgency you create may have to be more aggressive with some dogs than others.&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim</P>

3. DRAKE835

DRAKE835 New Member

thanks alot for the advice and i will try that i will let you know how it goes thanks again Bo