Is it common??

Discussion in 'Ohio Gun Dogs' started by DiverDown, Jul 20, 2005.

1. DiverDown

DiverDown New Member

<P>Is it common for a dog to almost quit eating in this weater??? my 9 month hellun has all but stopped eating, he has went from two bowls of food a day to 1/2 bowl a setting. he eats a little in the morning and a little in the evening, he has alot of energy, but the wife is worried something is wrong. Should I be worried? thanks DD</P>

2. decoymeister

decoymeister Member

<P>my two labs are doing the same thing so i took them to the vet and he said that it is common for them to slow down on the food during hot weather. my wife was getting worried about them so she gives them a half of a can of canned dog food and they get down on it instantly. mine are drinking twice what they normally do so just keep cool clean water for them and they will go back on full feed when the weather gets cooler.</P>

3. Orion

Orion New Member

DD,<br> <br> Yes, I would be worried if I were you, but not for any reason you might think.<br> <br> From 1978 to 2002 I fed my dogs factory manufactured kibble.&nbsp; My dogs have always had a problem with ear infections, ear mites and dark waxy build-up.&nbsp; I also have had other problems; oozing hot spots on my dogs face and neck in the summer, skin rashes, filthy teeth that needed regular cleaning, bad breath and gas, and huge piles of stools in the backyard.&nbsp; I also lost a dog to cancer.&nbsp; <br> <br> In 2002 I found out that dogs were never designed to live on manufactured kibble.&nbsp; They were designed to eat raw meats, fruits and vegetables.&nbsp; Manufactured kibble is like feeding your dog greasy cereal 24/7.&nbsp; How would you like to eat that?&nbsp; I wouldn't either.&nbsp; Three years ago I discovered the benefits of a proper canine diet.&nbsp; I started feeding my dog raw muscle meat (chicken, beef, venison, bison, fish, etc.), raw organ meat (liver, heart, kidneys), raw fruit, raw vegetables and raw eggs.<br> <br> In terms of health, I will put Jack up against ANY kibble fed dog out there.&nbsp; He is lean and healthy and full of energy.&nbsp; His ears are perfectly clean.&nbsp; He hasn't had an ear infection, ear mites or wax since I changed his diet.&nbsp; I do not clean his ears and they are spotless.&nbsp; His 5 year-old teeth are pearly white, and I do not scrape or brush them, ever.&nbsp; His breath is sweet and he never has gas.&nbsp; He no longer gets the oozing sores on his face and neck, and no skin rashes.&nbsp; And, I have a whole lot less mess to clean up in the backyard.<br> <br> This raw diet is less expensive that Iams, Euk, ProPlan, etc.&nbsp; People think I am somewhat nutty about this, but if you could see the results of feeding a proper diet, you would change in a heartbeat.&nbsp; I will never go back to manufactured cereal.&nbsp; <br> <br> You can't collect point circles off of raw food and redeem them for prizes.&nbsp; I do not get anything for promoting this diet. I do not sell raw food.&nbsp; The raw diet is also politically incorrect.&nbsp; It is strictly for the dogs benefit that I pass this info on.&nbsp; <br> <br> Your dog will be happier and healthier if you give the raw diet a try.&nbsp; I have some additional info on my web site.<br> <br> Regards,<br> Kevin<br> <br> Raw diet information:<br> http://www.oriondogsupply.com/raw.htm<br>

4. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Active Member

wow orion, never heard of this before. It seems to make perfect sense though, i just never thought of it. Im planning on getting a chocolate lab in a month or so (first dog), just graduated college.&nbsp; Im going to research a little more, just to see if i can find any more info about this diet.&nbsp; I may be in contact with you in the near future to find out a little more.&nbsp; thanks for the info.. <br> &nbsp; <br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; anyone else, id like to hear a counterargument from a breeder or someone else who raises dogs, as i am new to this...thanks<br> <br>

5. Orion

Orion New Member

Eyecatcher,<br> <br> I would be glad to help in any way I can.&nbsp; You (and anybody else) are welcome to visit and observe a training session and take a look at Jack.&nbsp; Check him out and tell me if you've ever seen a healthier 5 yo dog.&nbsp; You can observe me prepare food and feed him as well.<br> <br> You will find many newsgroups, web sites and books promoting the raw diet.&nbsp; Your future dog(s) will benefit greatly from your open-mindedness.&nbsp; <br> <br> -Kevin<br> <br>