Ohio Waterfowler Forums banner

If a man could be in love...

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  duck rookie 
#1 ·
with a rifle I would be in love with my Ruger 77/44. I can't wait to get it on the range and see how it shoots.

d r

#3 ·
I got box of 50 Winchester JSP for $37 at Field and Stream last night. I wasn't decided on the bullet style but since that was the only one they had I took it. I've got a box of 240 JHP that my dad loaded that seem to shoot the same so I've got that too.

BTW, you're right about it being a sweet shooting gun!

d r

#8 ·
#10 · (Edited)
For this year it will be open sights. Next year I will be putting an UltraDot on it. I hunt primarily the hills of SW Ohio and shots are usually less than 100 yards. I haven't shot a deer beyond 75 yards in years.

d r
If your eyes are still good I'd stick with iron sights at up to 100. If not, I'd go with a regular rifle scope.

I'll take good quality glass over a dot any day. It should be against the law to put one of those things on a bolt action rifle. :) MJ

#11 ·
If your eyes are still good I'd stick with iron sights at up to 100. If not, I'd go with a regular rifle scope.

I'll take good quality glass over a dot any day. It should be against the law to put one of those things on a bolt action rifle. :) MJ
Yep, my eyes are fine. The front sight was simply a brass dot but I put a dab of bright orange nail polish on it and now it pops nicely. (It pays to have daughters).

A scope is not a good option for the type of deer hunting we do because of quick target acquisition. The Ultradot looks more like a scope so it won't ugly up the rifle too much. :rotate:

d r

#13 ·
Recoil is very manageable. My 10 year old can shoot it all day. My 8 year old too, but he's a beast. They didn't like the 240 Hornady stuff at 1300 fps though. She should be fine with most standard loads. Out of the 7-8 different rounds we fired, those hornadys were the only ones that even remotely bothered them

Heck, my wife didn't even mind shooting it, and ARs bother her at times.

I have a buddy with a lever action in 357. He claims that is like shooting a 22lr.

#14 ·
My daughter shot it and liked it a lot. She normally shoots a .50 cal muzzy with 100gr Pyrodex and she agreed the recoil was less. It's definitely less than a 20ga slug. I wouldn't suggest the 444 as the recoil will be more and I personally don't like a .357 for deer. I know it will work but I just don't like it. I actually have .357 rifle that I could have used by decided to spend the money on a .44. The Winchester JSP list a muzzle velocity of 1100fps but everything I'm reading guys are getting over 1700fps out of a rifle.

d r

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.