Here's a FYI just in time for X-Mass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan_O, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

I had a Mercer Draw a week ago or so, while there I had a chance to talk with the person in charge of setting the zones for duck hunting in Ohio. He was on a hunt there also.

Anyway this is what he said.

The Zone line for the North and South zones will be move to the 2010 locations. This will put Grand Lake St. Mary's in the north zone and Indian Lake in the south zone.

Not to worry he said, they will also be changing the dates for the south zone ahead a couple of weeks so you won't totally lose out at Indian lake. Which means that the dates for the South Zone will end the 2nd week of January there about's. So enjoy any late season hunting on the Ohio River this year, because it's going to be a thing of the past.

Merry Christmas

P.S. This is not a joke, It is exactly what I was told. Believe me, I wish it was.

2. jeff51814

jeff51814 Well-Known Member

Why in GOD'S name would they move the dates up???

3. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

I'm guessing so the guys at Indian lake don't feel so bad about loosing half their season.

4. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

for all the people wanting the zone at 70 i hope your happy with this years weather. we got lucky the last two years with unseasonably cold weather. This year is like most years mybe a little warmer but not much. I hope we do get the line moved back to 30. but its unfortunate they may end duck season in mid January if they do. at least we will have a few weeks of good hunting for duck. The only thing we got right now is local geese and we are starting to thin them down prety good by now.

5. JD6400

JD6400 Member

Word is there will be no north zone,it will be Marsh zone and south with Marsh zone dates....

6. DesireDogs

DesireDogs Member

I personally take more ducks in the last 3 weeks of season than any other time here in south zone. Love ending it on January 31st. Actually would like to see mid February.

7. DMan

DMan Active Member

That's what happens when you make the zone consume over 2/3 of the state. You gotta compromise for those who live farther north and want to have time to shoot water holes that freeze early.

And to call the weather this fall near normal temps is beyond laughable.....

8. H2OFOWL

H2OFOWL Member

In regards to the comment that this will be the last late season on the Ohio River you are wrong. You forget that you must abide by the WV waterfowl seasons on the Ohio River so it will be a late season next year and every year as WV is in the Atlantic Fl;yway. Different set of rules. Remember this year only two bluebills on the Ohio River if it borders WV.

9. Ragtime

Ragtime Active Member

One guy is in charge of setting the zones? Really Dan O?

Did he sell you a winning lottery ticket for half price by any chance?

To insinuate the Wildlife Council has no bearing on the dates/zones is ridiculous.

10. the_lone_wader

the_lone_wader Active Member

He's just trolling ,trying to get all the usual crybaby whiners fired up.

Either that, or he really is that gullible and naive.

Even if there was one guy that could make that call (highly doubtful), they wouldn't be disclosing information like that to some random goof in the marsh.

11. Mariner220V

Mariner220V Active Member

The issue is everyone assume each season is 60 day... Im waiting on the 3/30 to come back...These birds are pounded to much its time for a break get them back into areas where they were in the 80's. Quality or Quantity is the decison that must be made

12. ducky152000

ducky152000 Active Member

no point in having a 3/30 until we have a major decrease in population. duck numbers have been rising for the last 4 years. I dont believe for a second our 6/60 seasons are hurting duck populations, local geese possibly. Im sure it will happen but hopefully not for many years to come. but it only takes that one extreme drought and numbers will plummet. The ONLY advantage that will be is if it gets all the new guys out of this game. i have seen more rigs in fields this year than ever and its a horrible season with very little birds.

13. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

First off the wildlife council doesn't set the zones, just the seasons. I'm sure there are others who he confers with, but he's where the buck stops or at least that is what I and others were told. I don't care if you believe me of not. Time will tell, and I'll be there saying I told you so when it happens. I think it sucks big time, but we will see. I wish I would of had more time to talk with him.

14. AvianHunter

AvianHunter Active Member

You are correct, they aren't hurting the population at all, they have helped to breed a better strain of duck more suited to surviving the long seasons in place across the continent. For one, if you think that ducks aren't exponentially more nocturnal than they were 20 years ago then you obviously aren't old enough to know better. And yes they are doing radio telemetry studies to prove this very topic.

The part that sucks is that at this point in our history, the almighty dollar is going to end up having far more value on season structure than the number of ducks hatched. Even if duck numbers plummet in the prairie pothole region I can almost promise you are going to hear waterfowl managers change their story to well hunting seasons really don't have the impact on waterfowl numbers like they did in the past so there is no reason to reduce the season or bag.

The cycle is in place. It will be the dog chasing it's tail. The amount of money generated by 6/60 far outweighs anything now. This is the monster that has been created.

And as I said previously, if anybody you have spoken with hasn't expressed disappointment in the quality of waterfowl hunting here in Ohio in the past several years is either a rookie or Dan_O. Truth be told I have to believe that even the almighty Dan_O would have to agree that things are not what they used to be.

15. MikeBeatty

MikeBeatty FKA Boomn4x4

This thread makes me reminiscence.... Looking back when I first joined this site.... Double income, no kids... all the time in the world. Used to hunt between 30 and 40 days a season.

.... now, 3 kids later, 6/60, 3/30./... could care less Actually, if it were up to me.... 12/4 would be my call. 12 duck, 10 goose limit the third weekend of October and shut it down, open it back up the third weekend of December... would be just fine by me

16. WorldBFreebase

WorldBFreebase Resident Antagonist

That is only because of a reciprocal agreement. it has nothing to due with dates. granted, I am sure they have taken that into consideration in the past considering there is way more mileage of river border with wv than there is with Kentucky. WV would love for this to happen as it would basically force everyone down there to purchase a Non-resident license. FYI- the proposed framework for atlantic and Mississippi flyways was identical.

"
    Under current federal waterfowl management regulations West Virginia is in the Atlantic Flyway and Ohio is in the​
    Mississippi Flyway. Therefore, each state may have different waterfowl hunting seasons and regulations. Hunters are​
    reminded that opening and closing dates, bag limits, and other regulations may vary between Ohio and West Virginia."

17. Duckeyes

Duckeyes Member

"You are correct, they aren't hurting the population at all, they have helped to breed a better strain of duck more suited to surviving the long seasons in place across the continent. For one, if you think that ducks aren't exponentially more nocturnal than they were 20 years ago then you obviously aren't old enough to know better. And yes they are doing radio telemetry studies to prove this very topic.".

Bingo! Times we hunt now you feel like the ducks left only to show up 30 mins after shooting time. (Actually last few years) Also congregating the entire state to one zone for 2 weeks doesn't help. LEMZ needs to be same as NZ. Would love to see the season close after 1 week and get that week at the end, pointless to shoot same woodies for 2 weeks.

18. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member

Methinks your wrong on that one, Dan_O. Your supposed source may have told you the buck stops with him, buy according to MY source, who tells your source where the buck actually does stop, the proposal to relocate the zones back up to Rt. 30 was met with heavy opposition by the GLSM and Indian Lake crowd. They put the full court press on the OWC, which just voted 4 to 3 to approve the proposal to move the zones. With the zone change expected next season, according to my source who tells your source where the buck actually stops, the fight is already in the works for 5 years from 2016 (2021) to move the zones back to Rt. 70.

19. Dan_O

Dan_O Well-Known Member

Got'ya. But, why would it be moved back to 70, cause it's already there.......... personally you can be right all you want, cause I don't want it at 30. I have a place I'm waiting to lease, but if it goes to 30, that goes out the window. So I hope your right. You did state that they were planning on moving it to 30, so what I heard was correct. But now they have changed their minds since the cat is out of the bag so to speak. Hummmmm...........

20. MaktheQwk

MaktheQwk Well-Known Member