HELP W/ 1955 EVINRUDE 25 HP OUTBOARD!!

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, and Motors' started by RegisteredNurse, Aug 19, 2005.

1. RegisteredNurse

RegisteredNurse Active Member

<P>HI, WE BOUGHT A 1955 EVINRUDE 25 HP LONG SHAFT FOR OUR 16 FT. DUCK BOAT. WE WERE SHOWED THAT IT RAN IN A CAN W/ WATER. IT SEEMED FINE UNTIL WE BROKE THE SHEAR PIN AND TOOK IT TO THE SHOP TO MAKE SURE THAT WE GET THE PROPER SHEAR PINS, AND WE DECIDED TO LET THE SHOP DO A CHECK ON IT. WE WERE TOLD THAT IT WAS ONLY RUNNING ON ONE CYLINDER, AND THAT IT WOULD NEED A COIL, CONDENSOR AND POSSIBLY POINTS. MY QUESTION IS HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THESE PARTS OURSELVES? WE ARE PRETTY GOOD IN MECHANICS ON VEHICLES, BUT DO NOT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE IN OUTBOARDS. WE HAVE HAD DIFFICULTY IN FINDING REFERENCE MATERIAL ON THE&nbsp;REPAIR OF THIS MOTOR. HAS ANYONE WORKED ON A MOTOR LIKE THIS, AND DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO.&nbsp;FOR THE DO IT YOURSELFER? ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU, AND GOD BLESS!!</P>

2. tfes1

tfes1 Member

Go to iboats.com and look under boating forums tab. You may find your answer there or you can post questions. Those guys are very knowledgeable about older motors. Hope this helps!

3. drakewadder

drakewadder New Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp; If you can read a feeler Gage you can do it yourself without a problem!!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;The shop should be able to give you the gap!</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;Vary easy to do!!!!!!!!</P>

4. RegisteredNurse

RegisteredNurse Active Member

<P>HI, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES!! I DID BUY THE PARTS AT IBOATS, AND THEY DID HAVE THE BEST PRICES AND ALL PARTS I NEEDED IN STOCK. I WILL VISIT THERE FORUM PAGE, AND LET YOU KNOW IF IT HELPS. I HOPE TO GET IT DONE BEFORE WATERFOWL SEASON OPENS. THANKS AGAIN, AND GOD BLESS!!&nbsp; ERIK&nbsp;</P>

5. sbe023

sbe023 New Member

<P>the library has a lot of manuals for outboard motors, and most likely will have 1 for yours. or they will send out for it from another branch.</P>

6. duxsrus

duxsrus Member

<P style="MARGIN: 0px">Check out this site for help with your motor.&nbsp; There is some very knowledgable marine mechanics on there.</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P> <P style="MARGIN: 0px"><A href="http://marineengine.com/" target=_blank>http://marineengine.com/</A></P>