gun shy dog

Discussion in 'Sporting Dog Training' started by DNEAL25, Aug 30, 2005.

1. DNEAL25

DNEAL25 New Member

<P>I took my 1 year old chocolate labrador out last night to work on her retrieving while incorporating a gun shot.&nbsp; When she was a puppy she had no problems with gun shots, but this past forth of July really messed her up.&nbsp; We started out using a .22 rifle.&nbsp; I had her sit and stay, threw the bumper, and my dad would shoot.&nbsp; Then I would release her.&nbsp; She seemed a little curious of what the shot was, but did what she was supposed to do.&nbsp; After about 10 shots with the .22, we switched to my 12 gauge.&nbsp; We did exactly as before.&nbsp; When the shot went off, she didn't wait for my command.&nbsp; She charged after the bumper.&nbsp; She retrieved it and then wouldn't return to me.&nbsp; She headed for the truck.&nbsp; I cut her off and brought her back.&nbsp; We repeated several times with the same result.&nbsp; It got worse as we proceeded.&nbsp; She wouldn't even come near the area that the gun was being fired from.&nbsp; All she wanted to do was get the hell away from that gun!&nbsp; I NEED HELP!!!&nbsp; IS SHE TO FAR GONE TO BREAK HER OF BEING GUN SHY?&nbsp; IF NOT HOW DO I BREAK HER?&nbsp; ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!</P>

2. Orion

Orion New Member

What happened over the 4th of July?&nbsp; <br> How close was your dad to your dog when he was shooting?<br> Is this the first you have done this with your dog since July 4?<br> <br>

3. DNEAL25

DNEAL25 New Member

<P>We&nbsp;watched a fireworks display on the 4th of July.&nbsp; She was terrified.&nbsp; She stayed in our camper and shook frantically with an increases heart rate.&nbsp; The fireworks were going off more than 300 yards away.&nbsp; Ever since then, she has been afraid of thunderstorms - they never bothered her before.&nbsp; My dad was about 20 yards away when he shot.&nbsp; This is the first time we have done this with her.&nbsp; Her natural instinct to retrieve seemed to overpower her fright.&nbsp; She took off after the bumper as soon as the shot went off, but wouldn't come near the gun or to the area I started her from.</P>

4. Orion

Orion New Member

I would get her to Jim Beverly ASAP. Until then, my advice to you is to not shoot anywhere near her. Don't even get a gun out in her presence. During storms do not coddle/comfort her, but do not be harsh with her either. Just act like nothing abnormal is happening, and be upbeat. Good luck and let us know how it goes. <br>

5. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher New Member

<P>get that dog to Jim Beverly asap and as Orion said don't fire another gun near her. Jim deals with these problems effectively. I have 2 dogs at Jim's right now and he does a great job.</P>

6. DNEAL25

DNEAL25 New Member

I&nbsp;will give Jim a call.&nbsp; Thanks for the help guys!